Organizations with multiple projects

Tasbiha Asim

Feb 26, 2021, 3:07:43 PM2/26/21
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi,

I am interested in working with an organization during GSOC'21 which has a number of projects opened for potential GSOC'21 coders. So is it possible (or recommended) for me to submit proposals for 2-3 projects of the same organization or should I only apply for different organizations? Am I allowed to do so? And if yes, then how does it affect my chances of getting selected for a project?

Thank you.

Google Summer of Code Support

Feb 26, 2021, 3:22:01 PM2/26/21
to Google Summer of Code
I am interested in working with an organization during GSOC'21 which has a number of projects opened for potential GSOC'21 coders. So is it possible (or recommended) for me to submit proposals for 2-3 projects of the same organization or should I only apply for different organizations? Am I allowed to do so? And if yes, then how does it affect my chances of getting selected for a project?

You are welcome to submit up to 3 proposals to different organizations or you can submit 2 (or 3) to the same organization if there are multiple ideas that interest you. Generally after you have talked with the organization you will likely be able to narrow it down to one project idea that you want to write the proposal for for that particular organization. Orgs look at the proposals for each idea and determine which ones they will be able to select students for based on the number of student slots they are issued by Google.

Beka Westberg

Feb 26, 2021, 3:22:36 PM2/26/21
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Last year I sent in two proposals to the same organization, so I think it's definitely allowed! hehe

I don't think that sending proposals to different organizations vs the same one would affect your chances much either way. I think that the organizations are mostly concerned with your familiarity with the codebase, and your experience working with others. But I'm not sure, I've only worked with one organization haha.

Whether you submit multiple proposals or not is really up to you, but I think the most important thing is being prepared and excited to deliver on whatever proposals you submit =)

Best of luck!
--Beka

Joel Sherrill

Feb 26, 2021, 3:38:09 PM2/26/21

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021, 2:21 PM 'Google Summer of Code Support' via Google Summer of Code Discuss <google-summer-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

[...]

We encourage students to focus on one good application to our organization. Submitting others to other organizations is ok but we'd rather have one you have spent more time on. And you are personally invested in to make successful and want to continue to contribute to improving for users.

--joel