Mentoring Org Applications open today - Feb 19, Student apps open March 29-April 13

Stephanie

Jan 29, 2021, 3:36:47 PM1/29/21
to Google Summer of Code Discuss

The GSoC 2021 program has officially begun!

Right now we are accepting mentoring organization applications only (no student apps until March 29).

ORGANIZATION ADMINISTRATORS

Org admins can submit their org's application to be a mentoring organization for GSoC 2021 at g.co/gsoc from today until Feb 19 at 1900 UTC.

Please remember for the 2021 GSoC program all projects students will be working on for the summer should be ~175 hr projects. Please adjust your Project Ideas as needed. Having a thorough and well thought out list of Project Ideas is the most important part of your application. Making sure you having enough mentors excited to mentor student projects and that are ready to commit to mentoring over the summer is very important. You can direct Mentors and Org Admins to the Mentor Guide for many helpful tips.

Please encourage other open source orgs to apply -- if you know of other open source projects that may be interested in applying to GSoC as a first time org please remind them to check out the available resources below and have them put your org (or you) down as a reference.

STUDENTS

Please remember that for GSoC 2021 students can apply starting March 29 at 1900 UTC.

Students, to help you prepare for the application period (March 29 - April 13) we strongly encourage you to read the Program Rules and the Student Guide over the next few weeks. If there are organizations you know you are interested in participating with you can proactively reach out to them now and learn more about the work they do and understand more about their communities.

We will announce the mentoring orgs accepted into GSoC 2021 March 9th at 1900 UTC. At that point you will definitely want to start communicating with the orgs that interest you and review their Project Ideas to help you understand more about the types of projects they would like students to work on over the summer.

Resources:

Roles and Responsibilities

TimelineFAQs

Marketing Materials (slide deck, flyers), Videos

If you have any questions please email us at gsoc-s...@google.com

Best,

Stephanie Taylor

GSoC Program Lead