Possibility of starting work in the community bonding period

Kishan Ved

Mar 11, 2024, 1:31:33 PMMar 11
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hello Everybody,
I would like to know if I can start working on my 350 hour project from the community bonding period itself. I plan to finish 40 hours of work during this time. This will help me complete the project a little early. I have discussed this with my mentor and he has no objections.
Am I allowed to do this? If yes, when do I need to submit weekly deliverables? Also, will the evaluation dates remain the same?

Thanks,
Kishan Ved

Google Summer of Code Support

Mar 11, 2024, 2:07:13 PMMar 11
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com

I would like to know if I can start working on my 350 hour project from the community bonding period itself. I plan to finish 40 hours of work during this time. This will help me complete the project a little early. I have discussed this with my mentor and he has no objections.
Am I allowed to do this? If yes, when do I need to submit weekly deliverables? Also, will the evaluation dates remain the same?

This is something to discuss with the mentor for the project (which you did and they said that it's okay) so if selected as a GSoC contributor, you can start the project during the community bonding period. Some people do this every year as they know they will have to be out for 2-3 weeks later during the coding period and they want to get started early.

As for the evaluation dates, that's up to your mentor to decide if they want to adjust them or keep them to the standard evaluation deadlines based on a 12 week project period.