Upcoming GSoC Contributor Tips Talks Jan17, Feb 13 and Feb 22

Stephanie

Jan 15, 2024, 2:22:49 AMJan 15
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi all,

We are excited to welcome the 20th year of Google Summer of Code this year.

GSoC Admins will be hosting a few GSoC Contributor Tips talks (it will be the same content just over different dates, so hopefully one will work with your schedule).

In the talks, GSoC Program Lead Stephanie Taylor will discuss the basics of the program (goals, eligibility, timeline, etc.) while also spending time on things to consider when selecting an organization to apply to and tips on writing your GSoC proposal.

These talks will occur over the next 6 weeks to give folks plenty of time to prepare before GSoC contributor applications open on March 18.

And 1 tip to remember - it's ALWAYS best to reach out to the orgs that interest you as soon as they are announced Feb 21. We'll go into more detail about that in the talks.

There will also be time for live Q&A at the end of each talk.

We hope you can join us for one of these upcoming GSoC Contributor Tips talks:
Wednesday, January 17th   1600-1700 UTC on Discord
in our Google Summer of Code room  (part of the Google Developer Community channel)

Tuesday, February 13th   1600-1700 UTC

Thursday, February 22nd   2000-2100 UTC
Via Google Meet:  meet.google.com/oqz-rtqn-qyk

Short helpful videos about GSoC:
GSoC Community talk series (inspiring stories from past GSoC contributors and mentors)

Be sure to read the GSoC Program Rules and the GSoC Contributor Guide for more helpful tips on every aspect of GSoC.

Best,
Stephanie Taylor
GSoC Program Lead

Stephanie

Jan 16, 2024, 10:36:36 PMJan 16
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Reminder that we'll have our first GSoC Contributor tips talk  Wednesday, Jan 17 1600-1700 UTC.

You can join via Google Meet:  meet.google.com/niq-hjmx-pxf
 or
on our Google Summer of Code room on Discord: discord.gg/google-dev-community
  • Once you click the link, in order to join the Google Developers Community server, you will need to sign up to Discord first (tips on how to get started);

  • In order to be able to engage in discussions on the server, you will need to verify your account, go through a quick onboarding and accept our server rules;

  • If you’re new to Discord, you may want to go through this beginner guide and familiarize yourself with the platform).

Both will get you to the talk where you will be able to post your questions about the program at the end of the presentation.

And if you can't make it Wednesday, Jan 17 we have 2 more of the same talk coming in February:
Tuesday, February 13th   1600-1700 UTC

Thursday, February 22nd   2000-2100 UTC
Via Google Meet:  meet.google.com/oqz-rtqn-qyk

Best,
Stephanie Taylor
GSoC Program Lead

Stephanie

Feb 12, 2024, 4:53:26 PMFeb 12
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Reminder we will have another GSoC Contributor Tips talk tomorrow,  Feb 13 at 1600 UTC for those interested in applying to GSoC.

We'll have a 30 minute presentation then open for Q&A.  We hope you can join us tomorrow or at the final talk next week, Feb 22nd.

Tuesday, February 13th   1600-1700 UTC

And our final GSoC 2024 Contributor Tips Talk will be: