GSoC for Professionals

Pau

Dec 19, 2008, 9:45:54 AM12/19/08
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hello, it would be great to have a GSoC for professionals so as people
who has received a College Diploma and is currently working could have
a chance to get introduced to an open source project.
This could help to increase the number of Open Source project
contributors and I'm sure that there is a lot of people willing to
participate.
As geeks we could spend our holidays coding.

Hope you take this idea into account

Bye,
Pau Carré Cardona

Stuart Brorson

Dec 19, 2008, 9:58:25 AM12/19/08
to Google Summer of Code Discuss

I gotta wonder why you don't just find a project you're interested in
and start working on it? Why does Google need to be involved?

Stuart

Shawn O. Pearce

Dec 19, 2008, 10:01:50 AM12/19/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Pau <pau....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, it would be great to have a GSoC for professionals so as people
> who has received a College Diploma and is currently working could have
> a chance to get introduced to an open source project.
> This could help to increase the number of Open Source project
> contributors and I'm sure that there is a lot of people willing to
> participate.
> As geeks we could spend our holidays coding.

But professionals are by definition already receiving some support
for their work, and they are probably already working in their
chosen field (software development) rather than an unchosen one
(e.g. watching grass grow).

GSoC provides students, those who don't have an income at all but
have high tuition expenses, a small living stipend to permit them
to work on open source software instead of watching grass grow for
minimum wage at their local grass growing outlet.

GSoC is about bringing in the next generation of folks, before
they have had the chance to be warped by a job at a closed source
software company.

I don't think a program for professionals would be anywhere near
as successful as GSoC is; they have existing time commitments at
work and at home. Most professionals are grown adults with family
and friends they want to spend time with. You'll get a lot less
time from them then you do from a college student who dedicated an
entire 3 months to GSoC.

That said, any open source org who applied to GSoC is looking for
new folks all of the time, and would welcome any new contributor,
GSoC or not. Professionals just need to find a project and get
involved in it.

--
Shawn.

allen isaac

Dec 19, 2008, 12:06:55 PM12/19/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
can you give me the project title i will work

Leslie Hawthorn

Dec 19, 2008, 5:20:12 PM12/19/08
On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 9:06 AM, allen isaac <ds.is...@gmail.com> wrote:

can you give me the project title i will work

The list of organization who participated in GSoC 2008 is a good place to start. You may also want to take a look at the Google Summer of Code wiki for more ideas.

http://code.google.com/soc/2008/

http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/WikiStart

As a follow up to Shawn and Stuart's points, Open Source is all about finding something you are passionate about, learning more about the project and contributing in the best ways you are able to do so. If you're looking to gain more experience with Open Source development, there's no need to wait for Google Summer of Code (or for Google to run another GSoC like program) for you to get involved - find a project you like, join their mailing lists or forums, hang out in their IRC channel and submit a patch. :)

Cheers,
LH

--
Leslie Hawthorn