Announcing Google Summer of Code 2021

sttaylor

Oct 27, 2020, 1:51:24 PM10/27/20
to Google Summer of Code Announce

We are pleased to announce Google Summer of Code 2021, the 17th consecutive year of the program!

The program announcement, timeline, marketing materials (slide deck, flyers), FAQs, student guide and short videos about the program and tips for mentors and students are all available.

For 2021 we are excited to offer smaller sized projects and thus a lower time commitment for those interested in participating in the program. In 2021 all student projects will be 175 hour projects (instead of the previous 350 hr projects) and the coding period will be 10 weeks. There are many folks who have been unable to commit to a 350 hr project but are interested in learning more about open source and being a part of these amazing open source communities so we hope this will allow those folks to apply for the program.

We are also changing the eligibility for students - in 2021 students need to be enrolled in (or accepted into) a post-secondary academic program (including university, community college, PhD program, licensed coding camp, etc.) as of May 17, 2021 or if they graduated from a post-secondary academic program between December 1, 2020 and May 17, 2021 they are eligible to apply.

Student applications open March 29, 2021. We will announce the open source organizations that will be mentoring orgs for 2021 on March 8, 2021, at that point interested students should be reaching out to orgs that interest them and talking through the project ideas.

Thinking about being a mentor for GSoC 2021? Reach out to the organization you'd like to work with over the next couple of months and let them know, I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have you as a mentor!

We are looking forward to another exciting year of GSoC!

For questions about the programs please email us at gsoc-s...@google.com

Best,

Stephanie