Midterm Student Survey Timeline & Payments

Leslie Hawthorn

Jul 5, 2007, 3:01:58 PM7/5/07
to Google Summer of Code Announce
***While this message is intended for students in the program, this information is likely useful to all program participants.***

Hello everyone,

You'll notice that the deadline for students to submit their midterm program survey is Monday, July 30th at 19:00 UTC.  The reason we have extended this deadline is that many students have let us know that they will be traveling in July and would like to delay their midterm payment; since there's no easy way for us to track delayed payments, those students who do not want to receive their payment the week of July 16th can simply not fill out the survey until the student survey deadline.

-What this means if *both* you and your mentor submit your surveys by July 16th 19:00 UTC:-
Your payment will go out to you via Western Union the week of July 16th.  (We're targeting a large batch on July 17th, but things can change.  You'll be updated here if they do.)

-What this means if your mentor submits the survey by July 16th 19:00 UTC, but you wait:-
We will process your midterm payment with our usual weekly batch as soon as we receive the midterm student survey from you.  No matter what, we need to receive a midterm survey from each student by 19:00 UTC on July 30th.

-What do I do if I want my payment delayed?-
Fill out the survey close to the July 30th deadline.  Make sure the shipping address on file in the web app reflects where you will be when you want to pick up your midterm payment.  Since Western Union payments are held for 30 days, you should be able to fill out the survey by July 30th and have up until August 29th to pick up the payment in whatever location you choose.

-What if I am not being paid by Western Union?-
We are still working on the stored value card payments.  My apologies for the delay.

Short version on why delays are occuring: These payments involve payment for services and there are many requirements that must be satisfied for U.S. law which are not applicable to students living outside of the United States (e.g., background checks).  Since the bank issuing the cards is subject to U.S. law, the contract negotiations here are rather complex.

Cheers,
LH