Google Ops Agent disk usage virtual device names

Peter Evans

Aug 10, 2022, 12:11:20 PM8/10/22
to Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum
Using the legacy agent it was possible to see device names like

mapper_lg_os-lv_var_log
mapper_lg_os-lv_var

that correspond 1:1 with file systems.

The new Ops Agent shows only devices like

/dev/dm-0
/dev/dm-3

There is no easy way to find what file systems are being measured as the assignment varies from VM to VM.

Is there a way to implement the legacy functionality in the new ops agent in order to see on the dashboard the file systems of interest?

Igor Peshansky

Aug 10, 2022, 12:31:59 PM8/10/22
to Peter Evans, Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum
Hi,

As of today, this is a documented difference in behavior: the Ops agent explicitly filters out virtual devices [1]. The support for virtual devices in the standalone (legacy) agent was broken in many edge cases. There is feature work to add proper support in the Ops agent, but no timelines at the moment. If you are in a position to open a Cloud Support case, that would be the best way to keep apprised of the progress.

--
© 2021 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Stackdriver Discussion Google Group (google-stackdr...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the GoogleStackdriver community.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-stackdriver-discussion/553e97f0-18f3-4121-9bf0-b5b4787eaa52n%40googlegroups.com.

Peter Evans

Aug 11, 2022, 5:12:48 PM8/11/22
to Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum
Thanks Igor,

I've opened a support case (https://console.cloud.google.com/support/cases/detail/v2/40599518?project=scailyte-is)

It's a pity that a very useful but possibly somewhat imperfect functionality is sacrificed because of somebody's desire for absolute perfection. In our environment we haven't been affected by any of these apparently rare edge cases.

Igor Peshansky

Aug 11, 2022, 5:40:39 PM8/11/22
to Peter Evans, Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum
Unfortunately, the edge cases weren't all that rare — you just didn't happen to hit them in your environment, apparently. Since the Ops agent is a brand new implementation, we chose to take the time to do it right rather than replicate buggy functionality. I'll make sure the support case is linked to our internal feature request for this.

Note also that the standalone agent is still supported for the foreseeable future, so if you really need this functionality and are ok with how the standalone agent implements it, you are able to fall back on that until the Ops agent implements support for virtual devices.
        Igor