php-fpm monitoring

James O'Hara

Mar 8, 2019, 6:30:23 PM3/8/19
to Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum
Hello,

Just trying to implement Stackdriver to move away from nagios monitoring of our systems to a much more intelligent system.

One thing I've been beating my head against the wall with is monitoring PHP-FPM on our web application server. I've looked around for custom addins etc and cannot find anything.

Has anyone extended PHP-FPM to be monitored by stackdriver or have I missed a trick?

James

Igor Peshansky

Mar 8, 2019, 6:44:48 PM3/8/19
to James O'Hara, Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum
Does the customer need something beyond https://cloud.google.com/php/docs/stackdriver#monitoring ?
        Igor
-- sent from a mobile device, please excuse tyops and omissns

--
© 2016 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Stackdriver Discussion Google Group (google-stackdr...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the GoogleStackdriver community.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-stackdriver-discussion/98a3845a-d5a1-4d61-8a59-bc5a1a526929%40googlegroups.com.

Igor Peshansky

Mar 8, 2019, 6:48:13 PM3/8/19
to James O'Hara, Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum
Apologies, just realized that you are the customer. :-) The question still stands, though...

        Igor
-- sent from a mobile device, please excuse tyops and omissns

James O'Hara

Mar 8, 2019, 7:01:22 PM3/8/19
to Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum
I did see this, however it looked like creating my own plugin rather than using existing.

If that's what it takes it'll just mean we have to monitor php via another method and it'll be harder to roll out stackdriver.

James O'Hara

Mar 8, 2019, 7:12:44 PM3/8/19
to Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum
Just making it clear I'm not looking to monitor the individual php applications, that will be for a later implementation.

I'm looking to monitor the PHP-FPM service, like we do with apache/nginx/mysql etc.

Igor Peshansky

Mar 8, 2019, 7:27:27 PM3/8/19
to James O'Hara, Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum, Marie Cosgrove-Davies
Ah, I see. You're asking whether there's a monitoring agent plugin that would query PHP-FPM. Sorry for the confusion.

Today we don't have curated agent metrics for PHP-FPM. However, our Linux monitoring agent is based on collectd, and there is a collectd configuration that would query PHP-FPM: https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:cURL-JSON/phpfpm. The curl_json plugin is already bundled in the monitoring agent Linux packages.

Due to the absence of curated agent metrics, you would have to ingest those metrics into Stackdriver as custom metrics, by using the custom metrics mechanism: https://cloud.google.com/monitoring/agent/custom-metrics-agent. It's a bit cumbersome, but should work.

Also, +Marie Cosgrove-Davies for awareness of interest in monitoring this application.
        Igor

--
© 2016 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Stackdriver Discussion Google Group (google-stackdr...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the GoogleStackdriver community.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum" group.
Message has been deleted

James O'Hara

Apr 19, 2019, 10:47:59 PM4/19/19
to Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum
Managed to get this working.

It seams that the documentation makes it extremely difficult for someone who hasnt done this before, the custom metrics once created, as far as i can see cannot be modified or removed.

The big problem in the docs is that the curl_json section doesn't really provide much info.

I ended up doing a quick rewrite based on the type-instance and applying the custom metric.

Deleted a previous message in which i was far more frustrated. A few examples in the docs would go a long way.

On Saturday, 9 March 2019 00:01:22 UTC, James O'Hara wrote:
I did see this, however it looked like creating my own plugin rather than using existing.

If that's what it takes it'll just mean we have to monitor php via another method and it'll be harder to roll out stackdriver.

--
© 2016 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Stackdriver Discussion Google Group (google-stackdriver-discu...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the GoogleStackdriver community.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum" group.

Vitor Xisto

Jun 30, 2021, 4:52:35 PM6/30/21
to Google Stackdriver Discussion Forum
Hello James, sorry to dig up this thread, but I'm facing a similar situation now that only this came with sources for a anwser. Do you still have any  files or examples of how to configure the collectd custom conf file for php-fpm agent on Stackdriver? I'm trying here but having some doubts, if you have any example on how you did it on your case, and could send me, it would help a lot!

Thanks,
Vitor Xisto