Sky Map on Github

Kevin Serafini

Jun 17, 2015, 11:08:23 AM6/17/15
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

I've completed the migration of the Sky Map source from Google Code to github. You can access teh repository here:

Please check it out and let me know if you have any issues building it. I was able to grab the code and build it by following the directions in the README (including installing ant and the Android libraries), so I think its in good shape.

There are a few things that I'd like to do. First off, I want to switch the "new" sensor API from the old "raw" API that we are using. That should simplify some of the sensor code and give much better performance on new devices. Second, I want to dump the current data model and use an SQLite database. I think that will be much more flexible and allow greater expandability in the future. Finally, there are some bugs and random code maintenance that should be done.

Anyways, try it out and let me know what you think.

Later,
Kevin

Sean Barbeau

Jun 17, 2015, 10:38:56 PM6/17/15
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Kevin,
Awesome, thanks for doing this!

 First off, I want to switch the "new" sensor API from the old "raw" API that we are using.

+1 - I'll comment more on this on https://github.com/sky-map-team/stardroid/issues/5

 Second, I want to dump the current data model and use an SQLite database.

+100 - IIRC, the protobuf data model tied to resource IDs was one of the big obstacles I had to getting this to compile and execute correctly on Windows.  Admittedly, that was a while back.  I'll see if I can get the current version on Github to build based on the readme.

I also did a port of StarDroid to use Gradle for the general build process (not including the protobuf stuff).  I'll see if I can dig that up in case its useful.

Sean

John Taylor

Feb 13, 2016, 12:21:56 AM2/13/16
to Google Sky Map
Hi all,
The code now in head should be a little easier to use.  I've updated the instructions on regenerating the star data.  It's still horrible process that we want to get rid of, but it does at least work.  Well, I hope it does and would like to hear from you if it doesn't!

John

e b

Aug 22, 2016, 7:35:12 AM8/22/16
to Google Sky Map
Hey, John.

I see you are actively working a fork.

Are you planning on migrating to a db?

Thanks.

Emmett

e b

Aug 22, 2016, 7:35:12 AM8/22/16
to Google Sky Map
Hey, Sean or Kevin.

Have either of you made headway on the conversion from protoc to a database?

Can either share what that conversion might entail?...how to setup the database and move away from the resource IDs.

I have no clue but am eager to set this up with a database.

Thank you in advance.

Emmett

John Taylor

Aug 22, 2016, 10:59:45 AM8/22/16
to Google Sky Map
Hi!  Yes, a revamp of the entire datamodel is on the cards and at that time we'd be exploring options to get away from these nasty text files.  Nothing concrete to report right now though.

e b

Aug 22, 2016, 11:17:33 AM8/22/16
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update, John! I greatly appreciate it! Is there a timeline associated with the revamp? Maybe by the year's end, or, even farther out?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Google Sky Map" group.

John Taylor

Aug 22, 2016, 11:29:55 AM8/22/16
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I would like to work on it before then.  There are a lot of features like providing info on celestial objects, alternative constellation lines, more objects (like satellites) that are gated on it.  You know what it's like though - it's the summer and coding is a rainy day activity.  There are a couple of other areas that need urgent attention - I've got folks queued up to do some translation work so I need to export all the strings for them (they're not coders), and our UI needs a major overhaul.

e b

Sep 25, 2016, 12:52:42 PM9/25/16
to Google Sky Map
Hey, fellas. I am having issues with the procedure to regenerate the binary star data.
After following the directions prescribed in the stardroid  /tools / README.md file, I am not having any success with the regen.
Are there any alternative directions?
Are there any steps that are implied but not explicitly listed?

Thank you all for your time.

Adam Smith

Nov 26, 2017, 7:22:36 AM11/26/17
to Google Sky Map
Hello,

I'm trying to recreate and having the same problems as e b. Does anyone have a video of the process of recreating?

Thanks!