San Francisco Bay Area: Live advanced search class for librarians

Google Search Educators

Dec 8, 2011, 5:36:22 PM12/8/11
to Event Notification for Google Search Education Courses (K-12)
***Please pardon this posting for those of you in different geographic
or professional areas. We look forward to other opportunities to work
with you both live and online.***

Google Search Education is offering an advanced search class for
librarians who are currently employed in positions where search is a
part of regular interaction with patrons

If you are interested, please fill out this form:
https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&pli=1&formkey=dGJ6Mlh5SUZGZW11YmlUUmZtTHhwYkE6MQ#gid=0

We will notify you once the class list is compiled.

Title: What librarians need to know about Google search: 10 ways to
improve your Google-fu

Time: Wed., December 14, 2011, 5:00 pm Abstract: You're an information
professional--do you really need to learn how to use Google? Answer:
Probably. Google doesn't work the way you think it does, and knowing a
bit more about how it operates will give you some insights into how to
improve your searching. This 2 hour class will cover some basics of
how Google works (and why you care!) as well as showing a few of the
less-well-known Google services and tricks that can make you a much
more effective internet searcher.

Bio: Daniel M Russell is the Uber Tech Lead for Search Quality & User
Happiness at Google. He works at the interface between anthropology,
user studies, cognitive psychology and classical Google software
engineering. His day-to-day job is to understand what people are
searching for, understand why they think the way they're doing it now
is (or is not) working, and translate those insights into improvements
in the way Google search operates.

This class is specifically for librarians who are currently employed
in positions where search is a part of regular interaction with
patrons. We will provide computers and dinner. Please fill out the
form below, and we will contact you once the class list is compiled.