Simple ImportData replacement

Ian Ray

Feb 27, 2015, 11:43:07 AM2/27/15
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Is Google Cloud VPN a suitable replacement if all I want to do is have ImportData in Google Sheets?

As it is now, the only function I have left on google sdc is to push data to spreadsheets. What would be the proper replacement for this?

Ray Colline

Feb 27, 2015, 12:12:22 PM2/27/15
to googl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Ian Ray <ian...@cypressgrovechevre.com> wrote:
Is Google Cloud VPN a suitable replacement if all I want to do is have ImportData in Google Sheets?

This is not a suitable solution.  This allows Google Compute Engine VM instances to be on your local network.  Sheets run as a separate Google service.

As it is now, the only function I have left on google sdc is to push data to spreadsheets. What would be the proper replacement for this?

This is not a great answer but, whatever endpoint Sheets is grabbing data on needs to be available on the public internet.  You can use authentication, https and IP restrict to help mitigate the exposure of the endpoint.

Thanks!
Ray

Vijay Subramani

Mar 2, 2015, 4:10:22 PM3/2/15
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Ian,

Can you see if one of the below options better fits your application needs?

  • Move the on-premise data currently accessed through Secure Data Connector to Google Cloud Platform Cloud SQL, Cloud Storage, or Cloud Datastore.

  • Expose the on-premise data, currently accessed through Secure Data Connector, using a secure on-premise service that is accessible from your cloud service applications hosted in Google Cloud Platform.

Ian Ray

Ray Colline

Mar 3, 2015, 12:42:09 PM3/3/15
to googl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 8:06 AM, Ian Ray <ian...@cypressgrovechevre.com> wrote:
Is there a guide to exposing and authenticating data for use in Google Sheets?

Support is not great and not out-of-the-box.  Sorry.   The basic process here is using apps script to fetch the data and do the authentication.   This requires javascript/appsscript programming knowledge.  This post describes basic-auth, however, you can change it to whatever auth you need again assuming you have the programming and authentication system knowledge.

As I said earlier, there is not a great solution for getting data from behind your firewall using sheets.  As Vijay points out, moving your functionality away from sheets and into GCP might help as private networking options are more fully supported.

HTH!
Ray