SDC Monitoring

Matt

Apr 3, 2012, 9:31:03 PM4/3/12
to google-secure-data-connector
I'm assuming others have issues with the stability of the SDC. I've
attempted to configured the Health Check gadget, but no results are
returned.

How are you monitoring the SDC connections? Is it something
automated? I'm considering a email appender for log4j for WARN and
FATAL, but don't want to flood my inbox.

Eric Pollmann

Apr 5, 2012, 7:42:22 PM4/5/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

Unfortunately, I'm sorry to report that the Health Check gadget hasn't been maintained and is no longer working.

The solution we've used is a small App Engine app that sends a request to an always-up target inside our firewall.  We then send requests to that App Engine app at a regular interval and check the results are what you expect, sending an alert if not.  Let me know if a snippet of code for that App Engine app would be useful to you.

Thanks,
-Eric
(SDC Engineer)

Matthew Firtion

Apr 7, 2012, 6:22:57 PM4/7/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
That would be very helpful!

Thanks,
Matt

Sam

Apr 14, 2012, 6:15:07 AM4/14/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Hey Eric,

I would also love to see a code snippet. Currently, there's no way to make sure my SDC is up and running, besides SSH-ing in manually.

Are there any plans to bring back the health check gadget?
Or perhaps plans for a better monitoring solution?

-sam

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Matt <matt.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm assuming others have issues with the stability of the SDC.  I've
attempted to configured the Health Check gadget, but no results are
returned.

How are you monitoring the SDC connections?  Is it something
automated?  I'm considering a email appender for log4j for WARN and
FATAL, but don't want to flood my inbox.

Matthew Firtion

Apr 16, 2012, 8:59:09 AM4/16/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
I decided to use Google Spreadsheet (App Engine isnt approved for our use) 't check an internal address through the SDC.  The only problem is that Spreadsheets caches the value for about an hour.  However, this is better than no monitoring at all.

Matthew Firtion

Ian Ray

Apr 17, 2012, 9:29:38 AM4/17/12
to google-secure-data-connector
Matthew, you could end the url with a random number using =concatenate
on the importurl.

This way, if you change any cell in the spreadsheet, it reloads. You
could also reference the random cell to another sheet from many sheets
in order to change many sheets by changing a value in one sheet.

On Apr 16, 5:59 am, Matthew Firtion <matt.firt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I decided to use Google Spreadsheet (App Engine isnt approved for our use) 't check an internal address through the SDC.  The only problem is that Spreadsheets caches the value for about an hour.  However, this is better than no monitoring at all.
>
> Matthew Firtion
> matt.firt...@gmail.com
>
> On Apr 14, 2012, at 6:15 AM, Sam wrote:
>

> > Hey Eric,
>
> > I would also love to see a code snippet. Currently, there's no way to make sure my SDC is up and running, besides SSH-ing in manually.
>
> > Are there any plans to bring back the health check gadget?
> > Or perhaps plans for a better monitoring solution?
>
> > -sam
>
> > On Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:42:22 PM UTC-7, Eric Pollmann wrote:
> > Hi Matt,
>
> > Unfortunately, I'm sorry to report that the Health Check gadget hasn't been maintained and is no longer working.
>
> > The solution we've used is a small App Engine app that sends a request to an always-up target inside our firewall.  We then send requests to that App Engine app at a regular interval and check the results are what you expect, sending an alert if not.  Let me know if a snippet of code for that App Engine app would be useful to you.
>
> > Thanks,
> > -Eric
> > (SDC Engineer)
>
> > On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Matt <matt.firt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm assuming others have issues with the stability of the SDC.  I've
> > attempted to configured the Health Check gadget, but no results are
> > returned.
>
> > How are you monitoring the SDC connections?  Is it something
> > automated?  I'm considering a email appender for log4j for WARN and
> > FATAL, but don't want to flood my inbox.

Matthew Firtion

Apr 17, 2012, 6:52:01 PM4/17/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll make that change.

Matt

Nov 26, 2012, 11:53:28 AM11/26/12
to googl...@googlegroups.com, poll...@google.com
Eric,