How to identify sex in pistachio tree in early stage?

kahri...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2016, 6:31:02 PM9/30/16
to Google Science Fair Help Forum
One of my projects:Easy to grow Pistachio from seeds. I would like to provide Pistachio Trees to locals.But it requires at least one male for every 10 female. I have designed a system to wave trees together in a flat book style, like a wall around the driveways,it requires at least one male pistachio. I don't have the luxury of DNA test, need a simple solution.To be able to identify in the early stage of growth, like identifying sex in grass.

tempora...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2018, 4:57:00 PM8/8/18
to Google Science Fair Help Forum
To dentifying sex or gender in pistachio trees you need to cut leaves from them in separated containers. You need to eliminate central larger veins from leaf. Then add the stain named "Cresol Red" to the separate containers. Nee to incubate them in a 28°C chamber. The females leaf will metabolize the cresol red and produce a yellow hue. In the other side, male leaf will metabolize cresol red in a way to produce a gray or faint bluish hue.

marcosnew...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2020, 10:54:37 PM8/8/20
to Google Science Fair Help Forum
Hello... Can you tell me if do you find a good solution for that one?

marcosnew...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2020, 10:57:16 PM8/8/20
to Google Science Fair Help Forum

"To dentifying sex or gender in pistachio trees you need to cut leaves from them in separated containers. You need to eliminate central larger  veins from leaf. Then add the stain named "Cresol Red" to the separate containers. Nee to incubate them in a 28°C chamber. The females leaf will metabolize the cresol red and produce a yellow hue. In the other side, male leaf will  metabolize cresol red in a way to produce a gray or faint bluish hue."

Could you tell me if it worked?

Message has been deleted