Different results in transparency report vs. using API

Ryan Radovich

Apr 6, 2020, 6:02:18 PM4/6/20
to Google Safe Browsing API

I am wondering why I don't get any info about my url being unsafe when using the api.

When I check the transparency report it says it is unsafe.

When I use the api, only empty brackets are returned.

I can include more info, but not sure what is acceptable.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

بندر العمراني

Apr 7, 2020, 1:03:04 PM4/7/20
to google-safe-...@googlegroups.com

‫في الثلاثاء، 7 أبريل 2020 في 1:02 ص تمت كتابة ما يلي بواسطة ‪Ryan Radovich‬‏ <‪ry...@crazyprotocol.com‬‏>:‬
Message has been deleted

Chris van Marle

Apr 22, 2020, 11:20:19 AM4/22/20
to google-safe-...@googlegroups.com
Additional info. I've compared the number of records returned from the API with the number of records in Chromium:
Malware - 21509 vs 21538 (about the same)
Social Eng - 896945 vs 2681114 (huge difference!)

Is this some limit of the API I'm running into?

Kind regards,
Chris

Op wo 22 apr. 2020 om 15:42 schreef Chris van Marle <qis...@gmail.com>:
Hi all,

While starting to dive into the Safe Browsing API I run into the same issue. I have a couple of malicious URLs listed as such on the transparency service, that are also correctly blocked by Firefox and Chrome, but do not seem to match with the Safe Browsing API - not through the Lookup API nor through the Update API.

Available testing URLs that I have found all seem to work as expected (listed, blocked and also matched via the API); such as:
<Stripped, because message got deleted, probably due to these links>

Why are the actually malicious domains not matching in the API?

I have read some statements that it might be due to data sharing restrictions, but the false negative rate is way to high to use the API at all.

Kind regards,
Chris

Ryan Radovich

Apr 28, 2020, 4:04:03 PM4/28/20