Helper Application being blocked

S.J. Becker

Jul 17, 2020, 12:17:23 PM7/17/20
to Google Safe Browsing API
"Helper Application" is an old term.

I've had one for 10 years.

Various web sites (not mine) create a small text file to my specification,
configure their web server with the correct mime type,
and add a link to it from their site.

They also have a link to my web site to install my application.

Their paying customer then installs my application (an image viewer, specialized for construction estimating),
the install configures itself as the helper app for this mime type and file extension,
and the user clicks on the link to download the file and launch my application.

The approach has been used and worked great for 25 years.

Now Google Safe Browsing is blocking it.

    I really need answers:
Is it being blocked because it's not using a registered mime type?
Is it being blocked because of the content of the file?
Can I request a review and adding to a white list?
Is this entire approach obsolete?
Is there a different approach I need to adopt?

Thanks in Advance

Scott Becker

S.J. Becker

Jul 17, 2020, 6:46:24 PM7/17/20
to Google Safe Browsing API

For anyone else running into this issue:

Register my application to handle a custom uri on install.
Change the link to use new protocol instead of https:
change the program to work again.

Rene Wuggenig

Jul 20, 2020, 10:36:21 PM7/20/20