NewsBlur looks like it'll be my replacement for Google Reader after it's untimely demise.

Shea Clayton

Mar 19, 2013, 8:08:05 PM3/19/13
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
I have a few criteria.

  1. Must be web-based.
  2. Must have a good native android client because android's browser sucks balls.
  3. Must be configurable to look sort of like google reader: Tree view on the left, article headlines on the right, split pane between.
  4. Must track read/unread.
  5. Must support sharing to facebook easily.
So far NewsBlur is satisfying these. I've already subscribed and imported my feeds. The android client is pretty good - only slightly more gaudy than the pure, perfect imho, google reader android client. And beyond that it's got some interesting AI, keeps track of stats like google reader (how much I've read, how often, etc...).

I'm still using Reader as my primary but will gradually shift over to NewsBlur - basically want to give them a chance to deal with scaling up to all the new customers from google reader...

Juan Luis Chulilla

Mar 19, 2013, 9:07:26 PM3/19/13
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
What about feedly, tinytiny RSS or theoldreader?

Denny Wells

Mar 19, 2013, 9:45:54 PM3/19/13
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
My criteria don't include mobile (would be nice, but not critical), but they do include having an intuitive user interface that is relatively fast and includes common keyboard shortcuts. For me, Newsblur fails badly in that regard.

I landed on The Old Reader, and while it lacks a mobile app, and can at times be a bit slow to refresh, is otherwise awesome.

Mike Whybark

Mar 19, 2013, 11:49:00 PM3/19/13
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
i have been flipping b/t old reader and newsblur. Newsblur's ipad app is a nice touch but both suffer from slow-by-comparison to GR renders. in-browser, oldreader wins for sure.
--
Mike Whybark - mwhy...@gmail.com

colin j

Mar 19, 2013, 11:50:12 PM3/19/13
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
nobody's diggin' feedly?

Mike Whybark

Mar 19, 2013, 11:50:18 PM3/19/13
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
oh, and a non-diaspora twitter friend remarked on his satisfaction with bloglines, which surprised me as I thought they were dead back in the day. anybody ventured over there of late?

Mike Whybark

Mar 19, 2013, 11:52:38 PM3/19/13
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
regarding feedly, I just hit their site and was slung into the app store as I am browsing on Safari iPad. So, no, I would say I am not digging feedly.

Denny Wells

Mar 20, 2013, 1:09:13 AM3/20/13
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
Not this somebody.

Feedly fails on Shea's 1st criteria of being web-based. That, and their iOS app followed the path of flipboard, highlighting pretty graphics over information density and use-ability. And until Google's cancellation notice, they had been relying on gReader for infrasturcture, which was nice enough until google gutted the social features of gReader last year. Their current offer that they are developing their own infrastructure, doesn't make up for the pretty-but-unuseful UI or the lack of social features.

Shea Clayton

Mar 20, 2013, 1:58:53 AM3/20/13
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
what denny said. :)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Google Reader Diaspora" group.

Shea Clayton

Mar 20, 2013, 2:00:28 AM3/20/13
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
And don't get me started on graphics heavy native clients for smartphones. Currents is beautiful but feels disconnected - decidedly un-linky. Same goes for other custom "magazine apps".  Newspapers and Magazines are exactly the kind of content the web was designed to deliver. It does a great job at that...

Ben Donley

Jun 30, 2013, 12:11:39 AM6/30/13
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
NewsBlur is great, but if I understand correctly they mark items "read" if they are unread for 14 days.

It's got a bunch of other features that are superfluous to me, but that one bugs me a lot.

I'm using Feedbin (http://feedbin.me) which definitely satisfies all your criterion. Also it's fast and seems low in bugs, which is more than I can say for most of the alternatives.

I guess I can't speak for the Feedbin Android clients, but there are a couple. You can definitely easily "share to facebook" quickly from the web app.

It is _definitely_ not a solution for the diaspora - your starred items can become an RSS feed, but unlike Google Reader shared items, those entries are not treated specially inside Feedbin, so you can't pivot back to the original feed with a single click. Yes, I'm still bitter.

I'm hopeful that Digg Reader will become the holy land - it seems like their "Digg" feature, as they've applied it to their Reader, could do exactly that in the future. However, right now, there's no way to unmark an entry as read, and there's no way to view only your unread items. Those are their top two next planned features, but it's June 1st already. Got to have an answer for now.
Message has been deleted