Re: <3 Auntie

Message has been deleted

Mike Whybark

Feb 22, 2012, 10:15:34 PM2/22/12
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
Is this on the right list?

On Wednesday, February 22, 2012, Garrett Guillotte wrote:
Already on the fence about the IGF, Steve Gaynor runs up and knocks me straight off it.

Steve Gaynor
February 22, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Hi,

Just a couple of points, (mostly reiterations of what Brandon says above):

1. Your comparison of volunteer beta testers’ vs. assigned judges’ playtimes is a classic example of self-selection bias. Someone who voluntarily seeks out your game is inherently more likely to invest their time and energy into it than others.

2. As an IGF judge, I can say that myself and (according to the comments on the IGF judging website) many other judges discovered many games for the first time during the judging, downloaded and played them. I nominated more than one game that I’d never heard of before the competition began. The system Brandon outlines and discussion between the judges encourages this.

3. To reiterate Brandon’s point: the lesson here is grab the player in the first four minutes. Show them from square one that it’s worth playing half an hour, and use that half hour to show them it’s worth playing another hour, and then through to the end. If your game gets amazing after an unengaging first impression, that’s the real problem. No one is obligated to play your game; you have to prove why you’re worth their time. Every second from bootup counts.

Anna Anthropy
February 22, 2012 at 7:56 pm

wow, did an igf judge really just say “no one is obligated to play your game”?

brandon, what are you telling these guys? HEY, ASSHOLE. IF YOU ARE AN IGF JUDGE, GUESS WHAT? YOU ARE OBLIGATED TO PLAY THIS PERSON’S GAME. i’m pretty sure they didn’t pay that $95 entry fee just so you’d have something to wipe your ass with.

--
Mike Whybark - mwhy...@gmail.com

Garrett Guillotte

Feb 23, 2012, 7:00:03 AM2/23/12