G+ RSS: do I see a BUG or a feature?

Galina_Ovt

Nov 25, 2011, 2:24:24 PM11/25/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
Who provides RSS for G+? Is it coming from Google?
My problem is that it turns the entire G+ post into the title of the relevant RSS feed item? even if the text is pretty long. Please have a look at my G+ RSS feed to see that:

Alex Chaffee

Nov 25, 2011, 2:48:35 PM11/25/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com

plu.sr is "screen scraping" the HTML of your public posts... so this
sounds like a mistake or a bug on the part of plu.sr
---
What do you think the name of your Google Plus posts feed should be? I
hate that they're inconsistent as to whether the name of their service
is "Plus" or "+" or "G+"
the link you sent said
"Galina Ovcharova - Google+ Post Feed" -- I think the title came from plu.sr
I don't like the word "Feed" in there, since everything's a feed, and
the + is almost invisible next to the big "Google".
I'm thinking "Galina Ovcharova's Google Plus Posts"
I'm currently simplifying and improving sharebro.org's Subscribe
feature so that it puts feeds from various sources inside different
folders, including a new Google Plus Posts folder.
--
Alex Chaffee - al...@stinky.com
http://alexchaffee.com

Galina_Ovt

Nov 25, 2011, 4:08:48 PM11/25/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
"Galina Ovcharova's Google Plus Posts" sounds fine to me. "Galina Ovcharova's Google+ Post" would sound fine as well: I do see the "+" :) . You know, now that I have spelled out both titles next to each other, I think that I like the Google+ version better: I do see the  "+" and notice it much faster than the word "Plus".

I have looked at  plu.sr and noticed the following:
New! If you want only the first sentence in the RSS title: http://plu.sr/feed.php?plusr=103855919375511821531&short=true

I suspect that when they added this innovation, they actually changes their old feed to put the entire G+ post into the RSS item title, and moved the way this was done before the innovation (a short title) into this version - the one with "&short=true."

Alex, I have noticed that I am a relatively disciplined G+ user, and I usually try to use the first sentence of my G+ post as  a title. Consequently, I would prefer the first sentence to be the title, and I would highly appreciate it if you could replace my G+ RSS feed (linked from Sharebro) with this version ASAP. I have already subscribed to my "&short=true" version in my GReader. Too bad that (having a limit of 10 posts) this version of my feed goes back only to Nov 21: I have a G+ post that I wrote on Nov.19 ( https://plus.google.com/117711276295132519456/posts/dmd26VD61ST) that I'd really like to add to my (public) Finance notebook (http://www.google.com/reader/shared/user%2F09800522980299441439%2Flabel%2FFinance). Any idea how to add that Nov 20 post there with a short title? Adding "&limit=30" to the feed's url does not help: it still shows their default 10 items :( I wrote a comment/question about it at https://plus.google.com/106294548712073255245/posts/ZPCV1ZLCVsF .

Even though I'd definitely prefer a 1-sentence title, I don't know what to do with those G+ users who just write their posts without thinking about a title. (Actually, the same people used to have "no title" posts in the old GReader :) In any case, turning the entire G+ post into the title does not look like a smart idea. The number of title sentences should be limited.

BTW, Alex, I could not find a thread where it would be appropriate to list those missing GReader features that you did not list at http://sharebro.org/features , so I'll write here about a missing feature that I have noticed. It's the ability to turn a GReader folder into a public one. I am happy that those of my folders that I made public before the Reader's neutering (like my Finance notebook mentioned above) are still public. However, having the ability to add new public folders would be great. I see that you can do it via the API, but I am unable to do it :( Also, I did not save the links to all of my public folders. Is it possible to fish those links out? Note, however, that I think that having those listed at Sharebro.org would not be a good idea: some of my public folders (though I understand that they are searchable) are intended for a particular (small) number of people.

Alex Chaffee

Nov 25, 2011, 5:14:16 PM11/25/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
This was a big long message with lots of topics!

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Galina_Ovt <galina.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Galina Ovcharova's Google Plus Posts" sounds fine to me. "Galina
> Ovcharova's Google+ Post" would sound fine as well: I do see the "+" :) .
> You know, now that I have spelled out both titles next to each other, I
> think that I like the Google+ version better: I do see the  "+" and notice
> it much faster than the word "Plus".

So your vote is for candidate A *and* candidate B :-)

> I have looked at  plu.sr and noticed the following:
> New! If you want only the first sentence in the RSS
> title: http://plu.sr/feed.php?plusr=103855919375511821531&short=true

This sounds like the smart way to do it. I'll go add 'short=true' to
the plus feed url now. Unfortunately it's kind of hard to unsubscribe
the old way since it's a different URL now. I'll do what I can.

I will have a new Subscribe button soon -- like hopefully today --
that does all these things we're talking about.

> I have already subscribed to
> my "&short=true" version in my GReader. Too bad that (having a limit of 10
> posts)

Wait, who's got a limit of 10 posts? The short=true plu.sr feed? That stinks.

> In any case, turning the entire G+ post into the title does not
> look like a smart idea.

Yeah, I wonder why he even made it an option. It should just be the
way it all works now.

> BTW, Alex, I could not find a thread where it would be appropriate to list
> those missing GReader features that you did not list
> at http://sharebro.org/features

Then let's make a new thread!

Galina_Ovt

Nov 25, 2011, 7:28:09 PM11/25/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
>It should just be the way it all works now.
The way it works now is having a terribly long title :)

Even with "&short=true" it is important to remember to use period after the title. Just look at my today's post "Mankiw: inequality is likely related..." to see what I got without the period separating the title:

And even the period does not always work: I wrote a comment about it for the creator of plu.sr at