Missing Google Reader Features

Alex Chaffee

Nov 25, 2011, 5:19:09 PM11/25/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
I wrote http://sharebro.org/features but it was an incomplete list. If
you find more (like Galina just did) please add them to this thread.

> BTW, Alex, I could not find a thread where it would be appropriate to list
> those missing GReader features that you did not list
> at http://sharebro.org/features , so I'll write here about a missing feature
> that I have noticed. It's the ability to turn a GReader folder into a public
> one.

I know that ability still exists in the API. I think they call them
"Bundles" now... click on the triangle next to the folder and look for
"make a bundle" and see if that works.

> I am happy that those of my folders that I made public before the
> Reader's neutering (like my Finance notebook mentioned above) are still
> public. However, having the ability to add new public folders would be
> great. I see that you can do it via the API, but I am unable to do it :(
> Also, I did not save the links to all of my public folders. Is it possible
> to fish those links out?

Maybe :-)

> Note, however, that I think that having those
> listed at Sharebro.org would not be a good idea: some of my public folders
> (though I understand that they are searchable) are intended for a particular
> (small) number of people.

At this point the only stuff you can see at Sharebro is stuff that is
public or private to you.

I am hoping to add something like public profiles and at that point
I'll have to be careful about only exposing what you want exposed.

--
Alex Chaffee - al...@stinky.com
http://alexchaffee.com

Galina_Ovt

Nov 25, 2011, 6:43:16 PM11/25/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Alex! It does work! And the nicest thing is that it even shows the number of bundle subscribers!
I heard the word "bundle" before, but could not figure out what it was.
Because I was not carefully following GReader's blog, I missed the following post: http://googlereader.blogspot.com/2009/05/life-is-great-bundle-of-little-things.html , which introduced bundles.
Frankly speaking, it took me some time today to find my bundle creator page in GReader's menu. I found it in "Browse for stuff" (at the top left), View your bundles »
Is it the only place where it is available? I am wondering why it's not in in "Settings"... Or did I miss it there? "ME AM BIZARRO GOOGLE."

I don't know now if it makes sense to spend time looking for our old public folders: bundles are better overall. The only thing I don't like about having a bundle is that I cannot prevent it from being listed at
http://www.google.com/reader/view/#friends-all-bundles-page (and maybe some other lists that I don't know about :).  The old public folders (I understand that they became "tags" now) were a good way to have practically "private" links where one could put items for a designated audience. Note that even though these folders are formally public, I personally fail to get adequate Google search results when I google for something I copy-paste from such folder. It definitely is not an urgent issue, but if you could put on your long-tern "to do" list giving us an ability to create such tags or folders, it would be great.

> the only stuff you can see at Sharebro is stuff that is public or private to you.
Note that our old public folders are "public" by definition, hence my note about listing them.

A public Sharebro profile, where I could choose what to expose, would be a great feature.

Alex Chaffee

Nov 25, 2011, 7:50:42 PM11/25/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
> http://www.google.com/reader/view/#friends-all-bundles-page
I never knew about Bundles either. Going to that page shows a whole
bunch of interesting and/or TMI bundles.

> It definitely is not an urgent
> issue, but if you could put on your long-tern "to do" list giving us an
> ability to create such tags or folders, it would be great.

I think you can do that with the normal "Edit Tags" link, which lets
you add a tag by name. Then select that tag in the sidebar and poof!
you can make it a bundle.

As I understand it, in Reader's data model, everything's a tag --
labels, bundles, folders, states -- and the variation is just inside
the UI. This can make some things simpler and some things more
confusing.

>> the only stuff you can see at Sharebro is stuff that is public or private
>> to you.
> Note that our old public folders are "public" by definition, hence my note
> about listing them.
> A public Sharebro profile, where I could choose what to expose, would be a
> great feature.

Noted. :-)

Galina_Ovt

Nov 26, 2011, 12:58:38 AM11/26/11

As I wrote earlier, the problem with a bundle is that it will be listed at my friend's  http://www.google.com/reader/view/#friends-all-bundles-page (and maybe in some other lists that I don't know about :) Consequently, other people (i.e. not only those to whom I gave the link to that feed) will be able to see it.

A> As I understand it, in Reader's data model, everything's a tag -- labels, bundles, folders, states ...

I think that bundles are different from tags. I have added two tags to one of my bundles, and the name of the second tag is different from the name of the bundle. The tag with the name of the bundle did not appears in the tag lists of the items contained in that second tag. So, it does not seem to me that a bundle is a tag.

Galina_Ovt

Nov 26, 2011, 1:29:08 AM11/26/11
to google-read...@googlegroups.com
Also, I have just noticed that a newly created bundle shows only 10 last items from each feed included in it. I think this is stupid :(
There is no way for me to show my old tagged items via bundles.