user_statistics v2 for MySQL 5.0.75, with "enhancements

wel...@whipple.org

Feb 19, 2009, 6:32:16 PM2/19/09
to google-mysql-tools
During the past 4+ months, I've been scared away from this group by
all the Slug Club (and similar) posts. I *really* want to participate
in google-mysql-tools, however, because my employer is having me use
them. (In particular, I've been using user_statistics v2).

I've upgraded that patch to work on 5.0.75 and added some additional
functionality to it (namely, made it so that the rows_examined values
floating around in the code can be included in the SHOW
USER_STATISTICS output).

I also found a bug where some curly braces are missing.

Is there a way for me to contribute (or at least *attempt* to
contribute) to this project? (I could minimally update the
user_statistics v2 patch [if it still exists] to fix the missing
braces; I could additionally add rows_examined to SHOW
USER_STATISTICS ...)

In addition to the USER_STATISTICS additions, I'm very interested in
MysqlRateLimiting.

I'll post this message and see if there is any response.

TIA!

Weldon Whipple
(P.S. I'll gamble and use my real name and e-mail address. The e-mail
address is handled by Google Apps, so I'm sure it will effectively
handle the rush of spam that this post generates.)

MARK CALLAGHAN

Feb 19, 2009, 6:47:35 PM2/19/09
to google-my...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:32 PM, wel...@whipple.org <wel...@whipple.org> wrote:

> During the past 4+ months, I've been scared away from this group by
> all the Slug Club (and similar) posts. I *really* want to participate
> in google-mysql-tools, however, because my employer is having me use
> them. (In particular, I've been using user_statistics v2).
>
> I've upgraded that patch to work on 5.0.75 and added some additional
> functionality to it (namely, made it so that the rows_examined values
> floating around in the code can be included in the SHOW
> USER_STATISTICS output).
>
> I also found a bug where some curly braces are missing.
>
> Is there a way for me to contribute (or at least *attempt* to
> contribute) to this project? (I could minimally update the
> user_statistics v2 patch [if it still exists] to fix the missing
> braces; I could additionally add rows_examined to SHOW
> USER_STATISTICS ...)

Can you share more details of the bug? I really want to fix it in our
local source trees.

I would like to see what you have done with rows_examined as well.

Sharing changes based on 5.0.75 is hard as we still develop on 5.0.37.
We have ported most of our changes to 5.0.67, but that work is on
hold. OurDelta might be a better place for this as they main patches
on modern versions of MySQL 5.0. But I still want to see what you have
done.

I have recently fixed a few serious SMP performance bottlenecks in the
SHOW USER_STATS and SHOW TABLE_STATS code. That will be published real
soon now. Do you run on big or small SMP servers?

> In addition to the USER_STATISTICS additions, I'm very interested in
> MysqlRateLimiting.
>
> I'll post this message and see if there is any response.
>
> TIA!
>
> Weldon Whipple
> (P.S. I'll gamble and use my real name and e-mail address. The e-mail
> address is handled by Google Apps, so I'm sure it will effectively
> handle the rush of spam that this post generates.)

(insert ad for Google) gmail does a good job of filtering spam sent to
my gmail address

--
Mark Callaghan
mdca...@gmail.com

Arjen Lentz

Feb 19, 2009, 7:05:24 PM2/19/09
to google-my...@googlegroups.com
Hi Weldon,

On 20/02/2009, at 9:32 AM, wel...@whipple.org wrote:
> During the past 4+ months, I've been scared away from this group by
> all the Slug Club (and similar) posts. I *really* want to participate
> in google-mysql-tools, however, because my employer is having me use
> them. (In particular, I've been using user_statistics v2).
>
> I've upgraded that patch to work on 5.0.75 and added some additional
> functionality to it (namely, made it so that the rows_examined values
> floating around in the code can be included in the SHOW
> USER_STATISTICS output).
>
> I also found a bug where some curly braces are missing.
>
> Is there a way for me to contribute (or at least *attempt* to
> contribute) to this project? (I could minimally update the
> user_statistics v2 patch [if it still exists] to fix the missing
> braces; I could additionally add rows_examined to SHOW
> USER_STATISTICS ...)

As Mark noted, OurDelta would be more than happy to take the patch.
You can submit it there (for instance in a bug report) or modify a
source tree directly and push the branch with bzr.

Alternatively, you can submit to the percona bugsystem or tree, as
they are essentially the current upstream for OurDelta for that patch.
OurDelta can handle that for you if you want. Whatever works best for
you.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com.au)
MySQL Training from $475/day, DBA/Support from $249/month

My blog is at http://arjen-lentz.livejournal.com
OurDelta: free enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org

Weldon Whipple

Feb 20, 2009, 4:57:56 PM2/20/09
to google-my...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Arjen!

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Arjen Lentz <ar...@openquery.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Weldon,

<snip/>

>> I've upgraded that patch to work on 5.0.75 and added some additional
>> functionality to it (namely, made it so that the rows_examined values
>> floating around in the code can be included in the SHOW
>> USER_STATISTICS output).
>>
>> I also found a bug where some curly braces are missing.
>>
>> Is there a way for me to contribute (or at least *attempt* to
>> contribute) to this project? (I could minimally update the
>> user_statistics v2 patch [if it still exists] to fix the missing
>> braces; I could additionally add rows_examined to SHOW
>> USER_STATISTICS ...)
>

> As Mark noted, OurDelta would be more than happy to take the patch.
> You can submit it there (for instance in a bug report) or modify a
> source tree directly and push the branch with bzr.

I will attempt one of the two OurDelta methods (above) ... either
today or early next week.

> Alternatively, you can submit to the percona bugsystem or tree, as
> they are essentially the current upstream for OurDelta for that patch.
> OurDelta can handle that for you if you want. Whatever works best for
> you.

I've already sent it to Percona (probably not in the most efficient
way). I want to "learn the ways" ...

> Cheers,
> Arjen.

Thanks for the quick response!!