How do I convert driving directions to a PDF file?

dusty

Apr 10, 2011, 10:06:18 AM4/10/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
I would like to convert the dynamically created driving directions from a mapping application and render them as a PDF document that can be automatically emailed to users based on a set of business rules.  Any ideas or code appreciated.  Seems like it should be a common goal that has already been addressed, but I cannot find any reference to a solution.
Thanks much!

Rossko

Apr 10, 2011, 10:24:50 AM4/10/11
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
> I would like to convert the dynamically created driving directions from a
> mapping application and render them as a PDF document that can be
> automatically emailed to users based on a set of business rules. Any ideas

Not allowed for free API, see the terms of use

en4ce

Apr 10, 2011, 11:51:11 AM4/10/11
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
rossko isnt it like that:
- the use of api without display a map is forbidden

so basically he could send emails with a link to his page(or embed the
map in the email) where a map as well as the driving directions are
being displayed?

seems pretty standard for me, correct me if i am wrong

-Enrico

Rossko

Apr 10, 2011, 4:09:31 PM4/10/11
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
> so basically he could send emails with a link to his page

yes

> (or embed the map in the email)

no

> where a map  as well as the driving directions are
> being displayed?

Actually, for driving directions, a map is optional so long as the
text version is displayed on a webpage.

Extracting them into a PDF and mailing it about is forbidden.

dusty

Apr 10, 2011, 5:10:02 PM4/10/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
What do we need to license so we can extract the driving directions as turn-by-turn directions and put it into a PDF file or an email document similar to what is done on the Google map site?  Ideally I would like to develop a link that will implement a "<a href="mailto:" type of button that will allow the directions to be imbedded in the email or as a PDF attachment.

Andrew Leach

Apr 10, 2011, 6:18:56 PM4/10/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com

You will need a Premier licence, IF Google allow the "no derivative
work" Term to be varied. I don't know if that's one of the Premier
variations.

Don't forget you can use print-specific CSS to format a print version
of a web page, which you can send a link to in an email. There really
is no need to create a PDF.

I use GMail, so I'm not all that concerned about receiving large
files; but those who download emails might not particularly want to be
sent a PDF attachment anyway.

dusty

Apr 10, 2011, 7:20:55 PM4/10/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com, andrew....@gmail.com
Good suggestions - a print version of a web page will be more efficient than a PDF document.  Do you know if there are any good code examples out there where people have used CSS to format a print version of Google driving directions?

Chris Broadfoot

Apr 11, 2011, 12:50:45 AM4/11/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Have a look at this:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=San+Francisco&daddr=Los+Angeles&z=7&pw=2

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 9:20 AM, dusty <prhal...@gmail.com> wrote:
Good suggestions - a print version of a web page will be more efficient than a PDF document.  Do you know if there are any good code examples out there where people have used CSS to format a print version of Google driving directions?

http://twitter.com/broady

en4ce

Apr 11, 2011, 7:09:58 AM4/11/11
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3