Finding distance between two postcodes

darr...@hotmail.com

Dec 8, 2010, 9:14:40 AM12/8/10
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I am using Classic ASP and have just got my API key. Now i'd like to figure out the code to give me teh distance between two postcodes and use this in my ASP page.

Thanks

geoco...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2010, 9:27:30 AM12/8/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
On Dec 8, 6:14 am, "darryl...@hotmail.com" <darryl...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi, I am using Classic ASP:

That is server side and not particularly relevant to the Google Maps
Javascript API

> and have just got my API key.

v3 of the Google Maps Javascript API doesn't require a key, v2 does.
That group is:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-maps-api

> Now i'd like to figure out the code to give me teh distance between
> two postcodes

1. A postcode is not a point, it is (usually) a region. You need to
figure out if you mean the center, the centroid, the closest border or
some other point in the postcode.

2. Do you want driving directions or "straight line, as the bird
flies" distance?

The Google Maps APIs provide a driving directions service, and there
is now a web service (for use with a map).

> and use this in my ASP page.

On the server or in the client (browser)?

-- Larry

> Thanks

TeamSancheZz

Dec 9, 2010, 11:17:21 AM12/9/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Hey Larry, would you be kind enough to point in the direction of where
to find the documentation on the new Driving Directions Web Service? I
am currently using the directions service, but I really think the web
service will work better with my complex VB code.

Thanks!

On Dec 8, 9:27 am, "geocode...@gmail.com" <geocode...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

geoco...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2010, 3:28:09 PM12/9/10
On Dec 9, 8:17 am, TeamSancheZz <kyle.butler5...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Larry, would you be kind enough to point in the direction of where
> to find the documentation on the new Driving Directions Web Service? I
> am currently using the directions service, but I really think the web
> service will work better with my complex VB code.

There is a reference to it on the right hand side of the documentation
for the API...

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/webservices/

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/directions/

-- Larry