Google Maps Geocoder

Niek

Oct 12, 2010, 4:03:30 AM10/12/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Hi,

I am looking for a certain solution in the Google Maps JavaScript API
v3, but can't figure out how to do it.

Situation is as follows: I want the full address (well, I only need
the zipcode and house number) of the address nearest to the point
someone clicked on.

I made a click event, catching the click, placing a pointer, getting
the coordinates and ask the Geocoder for an address. But: The geocoder
can't always give me a full address (that means: no house number).
Problem is that I really need a valid address for the service I am
setting up (only zipcode + number, but combination must be valid), and
the Geocoder won't always give me that.

I saw something about a "search area" (don't know the correct term)
where you can specify in what 'range' there is searched by the
Geocoder, but I am not sure if that will work.
A point clicked very near a street won't always give a result, so I
guess expanding the search area won't always give a result either.

About priority:
A valid address is more important as the nearest address. I really
need a valid address. If the actual distance is slightly off, that
will be no problem.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Niek.

SmirkingMan

Oct 12, 2010, 9:17:54 AM10/12/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
It depends on where you are looking.
Here in Europe, house numbers are frequently missing outside builtup
areas.
In the middle and far east, house numbers are rare, and practically
non-existent in the eastern block.
This is understandable and due to the quality of the underlying data,
not the geocoder itself.
I don't think the data quality is sufficient for what you are trying
to achieve.

Niek

Oct 12, 2010, 9:22:28 AM10/12/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
It is Europe only. To be more precise: NL only.

It is used only on area's with population. Either houses, or business
buildings