Chrome 15 seems slow

sb

Oct 26, 2011, 2:55:54 PM10/26/11
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
I just noticed that a site I am working on has gone super slow when I
am using Google Chrome 15. It was working well 2 days ago with an
older version. It works well with Firefox and IE.

Is there something wrong with Chrome 15 and Google maps API 3 or is
there some change in code I need to make?

Dennis

Oct 28, 2011, 4:07:05 AM10/28/11
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
I have the same problem with the Google Maps API v3 and Chrome
15.0.874.106.

Enoch Lau (Google Employee)

Oct 29, 2011, 5:31:16 AM10/29/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Can you share a link to a demo page that illustrates this slowness please? What operating system are you using Chrome with?

Enoch

sb

Oct 29, 2011, 11:29:21 PM10/29/11
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
G'day Enoch,

http://srsz750.appspot.com/api3/polylines-multiple.html

This should more or less cover it. Try zooming in and out, also
panning the map is a tad bad.

I am using chrome with win7.

On Oct 29, 5:31 am, "Enoch Lau (Google Employee)"

sb

Oct 31, 2011, 11:03:08 PM10/31/11
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
This may be an easier example. Easier than trying to figure out my
code :)

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/polyline-simple.html

It may be related to the issue where polylines (and markers) are
appearing over infowindows (also in Chrome 15).

http://groups.google.com/group/google-maps-js-api-v3/browse_thread/thread/ddd350ad9f84dab5/be991c9551772963

On Oct 29, 5:31 am, "Enoch Lau (Google Employee)"

Enoch Lau (Google Employee)

Nov 1, 2011, 11:00:34 PM11/1/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing the link - I can see the problem.

Enoch

DannyC

Nov 2, 2011, 3:28:38 PM11/2/11
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Any update on this? I'm still seeing the issue. (Chrome 15.0.874.106)

On Nov 1, 10:00 pm, "Enoch Lau (Google Employee)"

tony

Nov 3, 2011, 1:58:49 PM11/3/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'm experiencing a similar problem: our web app based on Google Maps API got super-slow just after my chrome got updated today.

Version: 15.0.874.106 (Official Build 107270) m
OS: Win 7 64bit and Vista 32bit

We market a webapp that makes extensive use of google maps, markers and polylines and, starting with version 15 Chrome got terribly slow when handling multiple complex polylines. Beta and Canary versions are slow as well. Version 14 was perfectly fine.

What happened?

Please advise, thanks,
Tony

Sergio

Nov 5, 2011, 1:20:33 PM11/5/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Hi Enoch,

this seems to be related to GPU accelerated compositing (turned on by default with Chrome 15).
Disabling it via command line switch fixes the problem, but that's not really an option with the end users of our google-maps-centered webapp (more so after urging them for months to switch to Chrome because it was way faster ...)
Any hope of an update fixing this? (like, for example, a new chrome build disabling the bugged GPU acceleration?)

sb

Nov 5, 2011, 10:21:26 PM11/5/11
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Hi Sergio,
Well spotted.
That is really interesting reading. It certainly seems to be related
to the problem. The Z-indices that is explained in the article
probably explains why markers and polylines are appearing over the
infowindows. It totally ignores the zindex if I set it.http://
www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/gpu-accelerated-compositing-in-chrome
The issue has been reported to the chrome team;http://code.google.com/
p/chromium/issues/detail?id=102284

Enoch Lau (Google Employee)

Nov 5, 2011, 10:43:07 PM11/5/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the Chrome team is now looking into it.

Enoch