Re: [Google Maps Data API] Digest for google-maps-data-api@googlegroups.com - 1 Message in 1 Topic

Raj Singh

Mar 16, 2011, 10:10:45 AM3/16/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Looks like I sent this to the whole group. I suppose I'd be happy to
hear everyone's opinion on this topic. Do Maps API users feel a strong
need for a mapping-centric API? Is the Fusion Tables API and/or data
model not right for you? Or is it just a pain to migrate data?

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Raj Singh <rajr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Josh. Hope you are doing well. Even though we seem to only run into
> each other at Where 2.0, I've been following the Maps API machinations
> over the year. Can you privately give me any insight into what's going
> on? Is there unexpected support for a stronger mapping-centric API
> than what Fusion Tables offers? Or do people just not want to migrate
> their data? I'm curious because at OGC I'm sort of the de facto leader
> of the GIS-is-disappearing-into-mainstream-IT movement, and this seems
> to be a relevant data point.

---
Raj

Raj Singh

Mar 16, 2011, 10:08:37 AM3/16/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josh. Hope you are doing well. Even though we seem to only run into
each other at Where 2.0, I've been following the Maps API machinations
over the year. Can you privately give me any insight into what's going
on? Is there unexpected support for a stronger mapping-centric API
than what Fusion Tables offers? Or do people just not want to migrate
their data? I'm curious because at OGC I'm sort of the de facto leader
of the GIS-is-disappearing-into-mainstream-IT movement, and this seems
to be a relevant data point.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 9:04 PM,
<google-maps-da...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>   Today's Topic Summary
>
> Group: http://groups.google.com/group/google-maps-data-api/topics
>
> Update: Availability of the Maps Data API [1 Update]
>
>  Topic: Update: Availability of the Maps Data API
>
> Josh Livni <jli...@google.com> Mar 14 02:30PM -0700 ^
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> When we deprecated the Google Maps Data API, we suggested Fusion
> Tables a potential replacement for the most common uses of the API.
> And we were happy to hear positive feedback from developers who were
> excited to take advantage of the SQL-like API syntax, the robust
> Google Maps API integration, and more.
>
> However, we also heard from people who were disappointed they could
> not longer access their Google Maps My Maps data programmatically.
>
> We're hard at work on a new and improved API to access this data, but
> in the meantime we've taken your feedback to heart, and I'm happy to
> let you know that we're turning a subset of the Maps Data API back on
> for everyone.
>
> What this means for you is that you can once again use the API to
> retrieve a list of your Google Maps My Maps, create and delete Maps,
> and modify features using the API. The API will officially remain
> deprecated, but we intend to keep this functionality around until we
> have a more comprehensive replacement in place.
>
> Thanks again for all your feedback.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Josh
>

> --

---
Raj

Josh Livni

Mar 16, 2011, 3:16:44 PM3/16/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com, Raj Singh
Hi Raj,

Good to hear from you.

And great question.  The data I've seen makes it clear that most developers who use our API's and want to store geographic information on our cloud (amongst other things) really prefer the Fusion Tables API to the Maps Data API in almost all respects.

Also, I am not sure if you were implying Fusion Tables is a less "mapping-centric" API than the Maps Data API, but I think the opposite is true.  It supports not only spatial queries and a nice SQL-like syntax, but also easy map visualizations and styling directly in the UI, some relational joins of data, and the FusionTablesLayer integration with the Google Maps API, amongst other things.

However, there is one thing that Fusion Tables does not currently support, and that is the direct integration of your content to "Google My Maps" (what you see as a tab option in the left panel of http://maps.google.com).  The vast majority of people who are interested in publishing their geo-content do not seem to view this as a key criteria, but a small number of developers find it extremely useful.

If there are additional reasons people preferred this API over Fusion Tables we would certainly appreciate hearing those stories.  Meanwhile the information we have so far suggests strongly that Fusion Tables is really a superior and preferred platform for developers who want to store/visualize geographic and other data than this API (excepting the Google My Maps integration).

Cheers (and look forward to seeing you at Where 2.0 next month),

  -Josh

---
Raj

A S

Mar 17, 2011, 7:32:12 AM3/17/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Josh,
Those of us who just want to track our daily runs or bike rides, and are not developers, are looking for an easy way to track and view our maps.  Uploads to google maps works!  Fusion tables are cumbersome.

Regards,

Andy

Sent from my iPad

Josh Livni

Mar 17, 2011, 11:14:42 AM3/17/11
to Google Maps Data API
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the feedback. Can you be more clear about what parts of
Fusion Tables make things cumbersome for you? It seems to me the
potential is there to do exactly what you want, but perhaps I am
missing something.

On that note, how important is it to you that your resulting uploads
are available for you to look at (and potentially share) at http://maps.google.com
(and then clicking MyMaps) versus http://something.else.com/ ?

Cheers,

-Josh

On Mar 17, 4:32 am, A S <aas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > Looks like I sent this to the whole group. I suppose I'd be happy to
> > hear everyone's opinion on this topic. Do Maps API users feel a strong
> > need for a mapping-centric API? Is the Fusion Tables API and/or data
> > model not right for you? Or is it just a pain to migrate data?
>
> > On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Raj Singh <rajrsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Josh. Hope you are doing well. Even though we seem to only run into
> > > each other at Where 2.0, I've been following the Maps API machinations
> > > over the year. Can you privately give me any insight into what's going
> > > on? Is there unexpected support for a stronger mapping-centric API
> > > than what Fusion Tables offers? Or do people just not want to migrate
> > > their data? I'm curious because at OGC I'm sort of the de facto leader
> > > of the GIS-is-disappearing-into-mainstream-IT movement, and this seems

A S

Mar 18, 2011, 8:28:38 AM3/18/11
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Josh,
As I said, I am not a developer. I use My Tracks simply to monitor my runs and bike rides. Ease of use and convenience are the most important features. Uploading to Google Maps and accessing through My Maps works much better for me than Fusion Tables.

It may be that I did not give Fusion Tables enough of a chance or I am not familiar enough with the features. Either way I don't really see a need for many features.

Sorry if my lack of technical expertise is frustrating you. I just like knowing where I went, how far and how fast..........

Andy Simasek
757.876.6793

Sent from my iPad

andybak

Apr 10, 2011, 5:19:46 AM4/10/11
to Google Maps Data API
Dear Raj,

Here's my thoughts:

The data in "My Maps" was beginning to be the place where different
apps could interact and users could go to view all the geo data from
various sources.

So I'm in Google Maps on my phone and I can view locations and tracks
from many 3rd party apps. Apps could conceivably collaborate and alter
the same data.

So I might have an application to store favourite places, another app
to take photos or tweet those locations and this can all be stored in
"My Maps" which can then be viewed from my web browser or the Map
application on my phone and overlaid with any other layers.

None of this is possible with Fusion tables. You have killed a
potential ecosystem - one that adds massive value to Google Maps on
Mobile. I'm surprised the Android team didn't get upset with you ;-)
.

regards,

Andy