How to differentiate maps created by me vs created by others ?

Tim

Oct 20, 2010, 5:58:48 AM10/20/10
to Google Maps Data API
On Google My Maps website, Maps created by others are categorized and shown separately from the one's created by me.

Is there a way for the api consumers to know this ? I was using the authors attribute returned by the map feed to determine this, but that attribute is no longer returned by the my maps api.

-Tim

Josh Livni

Oct 20, 2010, 7:04:58 PM10/20/10
to Google Maps Data API
Hi Tim,

Unless the other author has specifically granted you permission, and
set api_visible=True, you will not be able to access their features
via the API. Trying to access the map features themselves should give
you a 403 error, which would suggest you are not the owner.

Cheers,

-Josh

Tim

Oct 20, 2010, 7:24:24 PM10/20/10
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josh,

When an authenticated user gets the list of maps saved in his 'Google My Maps', he gets the complete list of map entries which includes both maps created by him and maps created by others that he has added to his list as bookmarks.

From the response to the map feed request (and not from the features feed), how can one know which maps were created by self and which ones are just added as bookmarks. (I need this info so I can hide or disable the maps link in the UI that can't be accessed by the user). api_visible attribute is not a reliable way to do this as I've found that for the maps that the user created, the user is able to edit it even when the api_visible=0, once authenticated ofcourse.

If the only way to determine correctly if the authenticated user has access to a certain map, is to do brute-force fetch for features for each of the map in his 'my maps' list just to see if we get a 403, then that would be pretty bad solution and also a performance hit when users have lot of maps.

Previously the response to fetch the list of maps included an author field, that was set to 'Bookmarks' if it were added to my maps. That seem to have disappeared now. Would really like to know if this was removed on intention and/or if there is a solution to my problem.

Thanks
Tim

Josh Livni

Oct 27, 2010, 10:52:18 AM10/27/10
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

Apologies for the delayed response.  You are correct and this field has been removed.  I have notified the team and will update this group when I have any information about a fix.  In the meantime the workaround is to manually attempt to get the features, which I realize is a performance hit.

Cheers,

  -Josh