Where to start....

Andrew Stringfield

Nov 7, 2010, 8:23:46 PM11/7/10
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

    I have recently decided to pick up an old google maps project of mine.  My end goal is to show the community my own map markers as read only and the community can place their own markers on the same map.  I have tried to read the documentation on how to do this, but I guess I know too little about web-development to even know where to start.  I did read about the Google Maps Data API and in the documentation I did see a website that was doing a similar concept to what I want to do: http://www.connectorlocal.com/.

What I think would really helpful is to be told what components are need to make this engine run.

Additionally, which would be better for me to use in the long run the Maps Data API or Google Fusion?

Barry Hunter

Nov 9, 2010, 5:23:50 AM11/9/10
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
> Additionally, which would be better for me to use in the long run the Maps
> Data API or Google Fusion?

Well the Maps Data API, is going to be gone in a few months. So
wouldn't recommend using it!

Learn and use Fusion Tables from the start.

http://code.google.com/apis/fusiontables/

Alternativly the Maps API articles section
http://code.google.com/apis/maps/articles/
has a few articles about using for example spreadsheets, or your own database.