Coming soon: Indexing of Maps API Applications

Dann (Google Employee)

Nov 20, 2009, 2:20:41 PM11/20/09
to Google Maps API Notify
In a few weeks, we're going to turn on functionality to log marker
locations and info window content within mashups using the JS Maps API
v2. This is very exciting since it'll enable us to include them in
Google Maps search results and will also introduce greater visibility
into your maps applications.

Check out the blog post below for more information:
http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2009/11/finding-mashups-needle-in-haystack.html

Once again, indexing hasn't been launched yet. Be aware that when it
does, it'll be enabled by default for all non-premier customers of the
API. To maintain privacy of data, see the bullet points below which
I've reposted from the blog post:

====

1. We only index data from maps that have been viewed by many unique
users. For example, maps only viewed by you and a few friends won't be
indexed.
2. If your page is protected by robots.txt, we will not index your
content.
3. You can opt-out of the logging by specifying "indexing=false" when
http://maps.google.com/maps?file=api&v=2&key=abcdefg&sensor=false&indexing=false
4. If you are a Maps API Premier customer, we will not index data from
your maps, unless you opt into indexing by passing in "indexing=true".

====

If you already know you wish to opt out, feel free to append the new
"&indexing=false" parameter in your maps applications now.