Google Business Photos project and Trusted Reviewers

P.M

Aug 19, 2012, 11:37:10 AM8/19/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Trusted Reviewers
I hope that you all are familiar with the Google Business Photos project.  If not you can learn about it from the official Google project website here - http://goo.gl/sh3G
There are over 200 Google Trusted Photographers working on this project.  The tasks that Google has charged us with relies on Google Maps and Google +Local.  As a result, we often have to perform map edits.  Our needs are unique in that they are very time sensitive and need review and approval very quickly in order to work towards the goals that Google expects of us.

Would it be possible to create a password-accessed forum topic here just for Google Business Photos review requests?   We really need help with this because we are losing a significant number of opportunities caused by delayed reviews and/or unwarranted denials.

~Jim Hilker
Google Trusted Photographer

Jaxcoffee

Aug 19, 2012, 12:15:57 PM8/19/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Considering the way the GTP program works, I believe you have a great suggestion. I to am going through the program to become a GTP. I also do many map edits within the Google Map Maker program to establish or correct Google+Local page issues.

So I agree with the need to expedite map edits for this expressed purpose.

Hope this suggestion lands on the right desk for someone to actually do something with it.

Flash

Aug 20, 2012, 1:09:27 AM8/20/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I have thought of joining that program myself.  Given that most reviews are done within a few days, and that we already have a review request forum if you cannot wait that long; can you give an example of a review that was time sensitive and suffered by not having an even quicker method that the review request forum?

I would also be curious as to an example of what you consider an unwarranted denial.  Denials are rare, and are not given out lightly.  If given, then the edit normally in no way meets the requirements of the guidelines; or the mapper is ignoring requests for clarification.  If someone that has the trust level to have an edit denied is using that in an unwarranted fashion, it should be looked at more closely.

Nuclear Moose

Aug 22, 2012, 7:02:31 PM8/22/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Looks like this is only available in the US. I cannot get past the application form b/c I have no choices for Canadian provinces/territories nor even Canada in the country list.

P.M

Aug 23, 2012, 6:26:24 AM8/23/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
@Flash
Perhaps the term "unwarranted" is not the correct terminology.  I've had a couple of denials a few months ago that seemed unwarranted to me. It may have been that I was lacking in some data, but I was unable to determine what that was.  Since that time I have learned more about the editing and review process so I will try again.
I wrote this thread on my first visit to the group. Already I can see where having a special thread just for Google Business Photos could cause more difficulties than it would solutions.
Thanks for your response.
~Jim

P.M

Aug 23, 2012, 6:32:38 AM8/23/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
@Nuke Moose
The GBP program is available in Canada, I regularly converse with a few Canadian trusted photographers.  The areas are rapidly getting saturated with trusted photographers and it's causing problems.  For some reason Google thinks the solution to getting the number of shoots up is to put more photographers in the areas, when in actuality what Google needs to do is create public awareness that people can street view inside a building.  The public does not know about this Street View feature so it is hard to convince the business owners why they should have it.  It is a great program, but it is not being deployed well from the Googleplex.
~Jim

Andrew Sawyer

Aug 23, 2012, 11:34:26 AM8/23/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of P.M
Jim, so competition is a bad thing?

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Jim Hilker

Aug 23, 2012, 12:19:10 PM8/23/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of Andrew Sawyer
Is that what I said? Really?  That's what you got from that?

--
Jim Hilker
Google Business Photos Affiliate

Nuclear Moose

Aug 23, 2012, 7:03:06 PM8/23/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Dammit, Jim, I'm a mapper, not a physician...
Sorry - couldn't resist.

I totally get the over-saturation issues - especially when something is new and it's being changed and improved on the fly. I was not able to apply because of the form insisting on US-only addresses. As well, I live in an area way outside of the 85% of urban-dwelling Canadians along the US border across our great land. We are always sucking the hind tit up here - outdated imagery; few volunteers to help; lots and lots of work needing to be done, etc.

In our smaller towns we can easily multi-task and get a lot of things done at once. I would be wasting my time to try and swing being a trusted photographer and nothing else.

If I may, I'd like to know if I can still apply, if you are aware of that fact.
Thanks for your note, by the way. Very informative!

Craig.
RER | Advocate for Canada, eh?

Jim Hilker

Aug 23, 2012, 8:05:29 PM8/23/12
to General Map Maker on behalf of Nuclear Moose
Hi Craig
As far as I know you can still apply.  Here's the link to the Canadian program.  http://maps.google.ca/help/maps/businessphotos/get-started.html
Should be a link for you to click at the bottom of that page.
Thanks for your note as well.
~Jim

Thanks for using Google Map Maker! =)

Nuclear Moose