Please, make corrections to the regions (oblasts) details in Ukraine

DixonD

Aug 30, 2012, 9:53:06 AM8/30/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi! Ukrainian regions are locked features thus cannot be modified. But they need some corrections to be done.

1) English names should have type Primary

2) Russian names should NOT have type Local. The only official language in Ukraine is Ukrainian.

3) The population numbers are outdated. The latest number can derived from this official government source: http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/operativ/operativ2012/fin/ds/kn/kn_u/kn0712_u.html
The first and second columns contain information that you need.

Could somebody from Google staff do this corrections? BTW the Ukraine as a country needs this similar updates as well (names and population)

Rahim

Sep 4, 2012, 6:34:38 AM9/4/12

Hi DixonD,

Thanks for bringing this concern to our notice that the oblast features of Ukraine need to be updated.
  1. I’ll alert the team about the blank name flags against the English names and get these features fixed internally.
  2. The Local flag for Russian names seem to be appropriate here. Please click here to know more about adding name flags to the political features.
  3. I’d request you to use your local knowledge to update the population attribute of these features. Feel free to submit the population updates via Report a problem option on maps
Please let me know if you’ve any other questions.

~Rahim

DixonD

Sep 4, 2012, 6:58:54 AM9/4/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rahim!

Could you elaborate your point why the Local flag is appropriate for Russian or any other language than Ukrainian in Ukraine?

Rahim

Sep 12, 2012, 2:25:30 AM9/12/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com

As per the User Guide, Local flag is used for the facilitated language of the region. Since, we are getting more web search results in Russian, therefore, it would fit appropriately to the definition of Local flag.

Hope this clarifies!

~Rahim

DixonD

Sep 12, 2012, 2:42:16 AM9/12/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Not really. I'm not sure what do you mean by "getting more web search results". So, if there are more search results in English for a some place, should we put Local flag for the English name of that place? Is that right?

Rohit

Sep 27, 2012, 12:36:23 AM9/27/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi DixonD,

 sorry about our cryptic reply earlier. We've circled back with our colleagues and here is some more clarity:

 As Ukrainian is the Official language, only that should have the “Official” Type.
 As Russian is also spoken in Ukraine, it is perfectly correct to add Russian names with the type “Preferred” or “Local” but not “Official”.

Hope that clarifies,
Rohit

DixonD

Sep 27, 2012, 2:42:49 AM9/27/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough, but it is only partly true. Russian is spoken in some regions in Ukraine, as well as Romanian, Crimean-Tatars language and some others. But now Russian is set as Local for many features even in Western Ukraine where the majority of people speak in Ukrainian, some in Polish, Romanian and Hungarian. So I guess, it is a bad idea to have Russian as local by default for all places in Ukraine. It is better to have only Ukrainian as local by default and then manually to set other languages of minorities as local in places where they live.

I guess it is the same as to set Catalan as local for all Spain even if it is spoken only in some regions of it.

Hope it helps.

Flash

Sep 29, 2012, 3:56:53 AM9/29/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
@Rohit - I'm confused, what you've said doesn't seem to match either the guidelines nor guidance from GRs.  You seem to be using Official as a language type tag, but the guidelines clearly define it as a name type tag.  The only language tag in the guidelines is the Local tag, and we have been using the presence or lack of it to indicate if the language is the official one in the region.  Official, according to the guidelines, indicates whether a name is the official one the government recognizes or not; but then you can have another name in the same language that is not official.

If Official is used as a language type, then it would have to go on every single Ukrainian name, ie. if the feature had three Ukrainian names then it would have 3 Official tags.  But the guidelines are also clear that only one name per language can be Official.

Additionally, you are stating that if Russian is a secondary language, it can get the Local tag; but everything in the guidelines say that only the main language gets the Local tag.  It is Local that then can be repeated for every name in the same language, in fact according the guidelines that is required.

DixonD

Apr 2, 2013, 7:20:07 AM4/2/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for reanimating this old thread, still I would like to have official comments to these reasonable (IMO) arguments of @Flash. Thanks