Appeal: New Imagery for Landslide area in Attabad, Pakistan

167 views
Skip to first unread message

momers

unread,
Mar 17, 2010, 5:27:47 AM3/17/10
to Map Your World - General Map Maker
I'm not sure how many of you heard of this but early Jan this year,
Attabad in Gilgit Baltistan region of Pakistan, was hit by a massive
landslide.

As a result the river flowing through the area has been blocked and
developed a massive lake. The lake is filling up fast.
The lake has cut off access to about 35000 people and the adjoining
villages since KKH aka N-35 in Pakistan has been wiped off in a few
places close by and the northern regions are now cut off from the rest
of the country. The area is now landlocked and airdrops are being used
to supply food. I'm not sure if supplies are coming in from the
Chinese side.

It is a major humanitarian disaster which can lead to infrastructure
damage as well, since recently a report mentioned that in case the
natural lake bursts (which it might since seepage has started) the
Tarbela Dam might be damaged in the ensuing flood.

My query and request here is that is it possible for the Maps/GE team
to assemble and provide recent high res Imagery for this area? Current
imagery dates from 2006.

Updated current imagery will help immensely in reaching out to those
stranded in the neighboring villages and assist the engineering teams
in getting on with draining and dismantling the dam.

This is the approx location: 36°19'0.00"N, 74°47'60.00"E (from GE)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=gulmit+pakistan&sll=32.694866,72.641602&sspn=22.431994,46.538086&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Gulmit,+Gilgit-Baltistan,+Pakistan&t=h&ll=36.316595,74.799964&spn=0.010529,0.030899&z=16


Looking forward.

momers

unread,
Mar 17, 2010, 5:30:36 AM3/17/10
to Map Your World - General Map Maker
This area is part of the picturesque Hunza Valley, the river being
blocked is the Hunza River and the upstream Gojal Valley is being
transformed into a natural lake.


On Mar 17, 2:27 pm, momers <mom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure how many of you heard of this but early Jan this year,
> Attabad in Gilgit Baltistan region of Pakistan, was hit by a massive
> landslide.
>
> As a result the river flowing through the area has been blocked and
> developed a massive lake. The lake is filling up fast.
> The lake has cut off access to about 35000 people and the adjoining
> villages since KKH aka N-35 in Pakistan has been wiped off in a few
> places close by and the northern regions are now cut off from the rest
> of the country. The area is now landlocked and airdrops are being used
> to supply food. I'm not sure if supplies are coming in from the
> Chinese side.
>
> It is a major humanitarian disaster which can lead to infrastructure
> damage as well, since recently a report mentioned that in case the
> natural lake bursts (which it might since seepage has started) the
> Tarbela Dam might be damaged in the ensuing flood.
>
> My query and request here is that is it possible for the Maps/GE team
> to assemble and provide recent high res Imagery for this area? Current
> imagery dates from 2006.
>
> Updated current imagery will help immensely in reaching out to those
> stranded in the neighboring villages and assist the engineering teams
> in getting on with draining and dismantling the dam.
>
> This is the approx location:  36°19'0.00"N,  74°47'60.00"E (from GE)
>

> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=gulmit+pa...
>
> Looking forward.

momers

unread,
Mar 17, 2010, 5:41:23 AM3/17/10
to Map Your World - General Map Maker

momers

unread,
Mar 19, 2010, 1:50:10 AM3/19/10
to Map Your World - General Map Maker
This is getting serious! Can any one from Google confirm if you are
even considering this request?


http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010\03\19\story_19-3-2010_pg7_15
Lake expansion threatens thousands in Hunza Valley

* Landslides created the water mass, which has cut off 25,000 people
* Government claims it has sent necessary supplies to the affected
area

ATTABAD: The water is rising day by day in this remote part of
northern Pakistan, and with it, so is the fear among thousands who
stand to lose their crops, their homes and maybe
even their lives.

A massive landslide early this year formed a natural dam in the Hunza
River, creating a lake that is consuming upstream villages, as it
expands. If the dam breaks, a flash flood could threaten downstream
villages too. The landslide also has blocked the Karakoram Highway, a
vital trade link to China, cutting off 25,000 people in the Upper
Hunza Valley.

“Why can’t the government remove this debris to give an outlet to the
water? Doesn’t it have sufficient machinery to do away with it?” asked
Ajaz Ali, who has watched in frustration as the water slowly submerges
his village of Shishkat.

The landslide was large even by the standards of the mountainous Hunza
region, whose beauty is said to have inspired James Hilton’s novel,
Lost Horizon, a tale of the mythical paradise of Shangri-La.

At least 19 people perished as the debris obstructed nearly 2
kilometres of the once fast-flowing river and a longer stretch of the
highway, a popular high-altitude route for backpackers that cuts
through stunning, snow capped peaks.

Those stranded in Upper Hunza are relying on relief supplies ferried
in mainly by helicopter. Hundreds of people have been displaced, and
many are living in relief camps.

The turquoise lake formed by the landslide is more than 11 kilometres
long, around 215 feet deep and is rising up to 1.5 feet a day,
according to the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA). At
least one major bridge in the area has been submerged.

Workers have removed more than 100,000 cubic meters of debris in a
continuing effort to create a spillway for the water to pour through.
Some officials said they hope the spillway will be open by mid-April.

Clearing the Karakoram Highway will have to wait until the dam is
breached and the water recedes, officials said. “It is tedious work,”
said NDMA Chairman lieutenant general (r) Farooq Ahmad Khan.
Authorities downplayed the possibility of a flood, saying the barrier
is unlikely to rupture, though the water may rise enough to overflow
it by June.

“It is of the utmost importance to monitor developments and have an
evacuation plan for communities downriver, and other emergency
assistance measures ready for immediate implementation should the dam
fail suddenly and quickly,” Kenneth Hewitt, a professor emeritus in
the geography and environmental studies department at Wilfrid Laurier
University in Canada.

“My mother says that when they wake up the first thing they ask about
is the water level,” said Adil Gulmit, a 21-year-old from the Gojal
area in the north who is studying commerce in Lahore.

“My father told me that this year we will not be able to cultivate
potatoes because there’s no seed or fertilizer available,” he added,
because the area is cut off. The government said it has sent in tents,
blankets, jackets and tons of food.

“There are no shortages in the villages affected by the disaster,”
said Anwar Jamal, a magistrate supervising relief work. “We are
transporting 200 bags of flour daily to the villages cut off by the
calamity, beside medicines and other items of daily use.” ap


On Mar 17, 2:41 pm, momers <mom...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please vote for the issue here:http://code.google.com/p/google-mapmaker/issues/detail?id=616
>

> Mapmaker link for the location:http://www.google.com/mapmaker?hl=en&q=atabad&gw=30&ll=36.313223,74.8...

Jabran

unread,
Mar 19, 2010, 3:15:44 AM3/19/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Omer.

Map Maker Team, please consider this to forward further to imagery
team as availability of new imagery will facilitate the NGOs and other
relief workers to look at the recent situation while seeking a better
strategy to cope with this situation.

Cheers

Regards,
جabran


-----------------------
Sent from iPhone

> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "General Map Maker" group.
> To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com
> .
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-mapmaker?hl=en
> .
>

Map Maker Guide

unread,
Mar 19, 2010, 6:54:44 AM3/19/10
to Map Your World - General Map Maker
Hi All,
We did check back on our imagery catalogs from various providers for
this region, but it appears that none of them have post-landslide
imagery available here. The imagery that is being currently displayed
is the latest set of imagery which we have. While we really do want to
help at this critical juncture, we are unable to do so due to this at
this point. We fervently hope that the situation on the ground
improves rapidly.

Regards,
Map Maker Guide.

momers

unread,
Mar 19, 2010, 7:11:37 AM3/19/10
to Map Your World - General Map Maker
And GeoEye satellite can't snap some images next time its
around...though i have no idea when next it will be above that
region...?

At least they can add it to their To Do agenda?

It is after all a very interesting geological/geographic event
event...and would have scientific importance too.

Jabran

unread,
Mar 19, 2010, 7:58:50 AM3/19/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Yes thats right! It not impossible to do so since they have provided the post-disasters imagery for other larger events around the world. Its none of anyone's personal use anyway but for humanity..

Regards,
جabran

momers

unread,
Mar 22, 2010, 4:31:36 AM3/22/10
to Map Your World - General Map Maker
NASA to the rescue here:

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=43175&src=imgrss

Google, now you have a nice relationship going on with NASA, i'm sure
this imagery set can be acquired, and ported to GE??!

> > google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com<google-mapmaker%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>


> > > > > .
> > > > > For more options, visit this group athttp://
> > groups.google.com/group/google-mapmaker?hl=en
> > > > > .
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "General Map Maker" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com.
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to

> > google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com<google-mapmaker%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Lior Ron

unread,
Mar 22, 2010, 5:03:48 AM3/22/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
good news on this front - we've acquired an updated imagery of the landslide area from our partners and we're working to push it to Google Maps. Since we just missed a push window it seems this will take two weeks, so we're exploring ways to add the imagery as an overlay or some other mechanism into mapmaker for mapping much sooner. We'll update this thread as we make progress. momers - thanks for bringing this up in the first place

Lior.

2010/3/22 momers <mom...@gmail.com>
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com.

momers

unread,
Mar 22, 2010, 5:49:04 AM3/22/10
to Map Your World - General Map Maker
Excellent news! We are waiting!

Meanwhile, i guess time to get in touch with locals or experts on the
region...

> ...
>
> read more »

Jabran

unread,
Mar 22, 2010, 6:01:37 AM3/22/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
This is great!!! Thanks!


Regards,
جabran


-----------------------
Sent from iPhone

Jabran

unread,
Mar 22, 2010, 7:33:55 AM3/22/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
you beat me on this.. :) call it even. Good job!! Truly appreciate!

Regards,
جabran


-----------------------
Sent from iPhone

>>> .
>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/google-mapmaker?hl=en.
>

> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "General Map Maker" group.
> To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com

momers

unread,
Apr 20, 2010, 1:51:27 AM4/20/10
to Map Your World - General Map Maker
and still nothing for Pk...while China gets some love....

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2010/04/imagery-for-qinghai-china-earthquake.html
> ...
>
> read more »

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "General Map Maker" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com.

Jabran

unread,
Apr 22, 2010, 2:52:44 AM4/22/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Seems like my misake, I thought I have posted the update but I didn't
in fact. I proceeded the kmz file made with the downloaded image from
NASA page to SOP people. They also told me that they already was
working on acquisition of new imagery to provide it to disaster
handler department ao this could also help them. I'll contact this
Saturday to check the current situation and see if this helped anyway.
I'll post back. @Lior. It was said that it will take couple of weeks
to update. Is it done already? Cheers

Regards,
جabran


-----------------------
Sent from iPhone

france lamy

unread,
Apr 29, 2010, 3:12:08 PM4/29/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon,

New imagery over Atta-Abad is now live on Map Maker, Google Earth and
Google Maps! I understand that landslides continue to be a main
concern for the local communities. And we trust that this imagery and
your mapping contributions will be useful to the response groups on
the ground -- providing key information about access to services,
evacuation routes, community relocation areas, hazards zones, etc,
etc..

Please let us know how we can best assist.

Thanks again,
France
>>>>>>>>> said Anwar Jamal, a magistrate supervising relief work. “We are

Jabran

unread,
Apr 30, 2010, 5:48:20 AM4/30/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a million. We get the ground resources know about this update
and come back with some update! Thanks again.

Regards,
جabran


-----------------------
Sent from iPhone

>> mapm...@googlegroups.com.
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com.
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/google-mapmaker?hl=en.
>>
>>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "General Map Maker" group.
> To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com
> .
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-mapmaker?hl=en
> .
>

--

Jabran

unread,
Apr 30, 2010, 5:23:07 PM4/30/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I am sorry, i doubt an update in Map Maker though its fine on Maps and Earth. Cheers


Regards,
جabran



calamity, beside medicines and other items of daily use.” ap
To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/google-mapmaker?hl=en.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"General Map Maker" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/google-mapmaker?hl=en.



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "General Map Maker" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/google-mapmaker?hl=en.

france lamy

unread,
Apr 30, 2010, 11:41:25 PM4/30/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jabran,

I was looking at the location provided by momers -- high resolution
imagery is available, but not the most recent...my bad. I am really
sorry. I will ask our team to push this image, as a priority. I will
keep you informed, and thank you for your patience on this.

http://www.google.com/mapmaker?hl=en&q=atabad&gw=30&ll=36.313223,74.804707&spn=0.021613,0.044718&z=15&t=h

36°19'0.00"N, 74°47'60.00"E

Jabran

unread,
May 1, 2010, 5:32:28 PM5/1/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Ok Thanks. In Map Maker we can involve locals to draw helpful features. Thanks

Regards,
جabran

france lamy

unread,
May 3, 2010, 3:29:58 PM5/3/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jabran,

MM new imagery is now live. Please keep us informed of your efforts so
that we/partners can do our best to assist.

Thanks again for the great contribution!
France
>> >>>>> google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com<google-mapmaker%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>> .
>> >>>>> For more options, visit this group at
>> >>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/google-mapmaker?hl=en.
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>
>> >>>> --
>> >>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> >>>> Groups
>> >>>> "General Map Maker" group.
>> >>>> To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com
>> .
>> >>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> >>>> google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com<google-mapmaker%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>> .
>> >>>> For more options, visit this group at
>> >>>> http://groups.google.com/group/google-mapmaker?hl=en.
>> >>>>
>> >>>>
>> >>>
>> >>> --
>> >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> Groups
>> >>> "General Map Maker" group.
>> >>> To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com.
>> >>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> >>> google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com<google-mapmaker%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>> .
>> >>> For more options, visit this group at
>> >>> http://groups.google.com/group/google-mapmaker?hl=en.
>> >>>
>> >
>> > --
>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> > Groups
>> > "General Map Maker" group.
>> > To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com.
>> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> > google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com<google-mapmaker%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>> .
>> > For more options, visit this group at
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/google-mapmaker?hl=en.
>> >
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "General Map Maker" group.
>> To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com.
>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>> google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com<google-mapmaker%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>> .

Jabran

unread,
May 3, 2010, 6:34:58 PM5/3/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for quick efforts. We will keep you inform as we go along. All appreciations go to Omer who initiated the issue at first place!

Regards,
جabran

momers

unread,
May 4, 2010, 1:04:55 AM5/4/10
to Map Your World - General Map Maker
hi guys, okay back now.

So good, imagery is here....though it is a bit cropped on the eastern
side but still good ...thanks! Maybe you now the iamgery guys can post
monthly updates of the place? That would be a good idea, since the
teams working on the ground have been missing deadline after deadline
for creating the spill ways on the barrier. I hear the lake has grown
by a km towards the north.

I am having a bit of a hard time in convincing the NGO FOCUS working
there to collaborate, its a bit hard telling people how this can help
specially if they are not to high on web 2.0 collaborative thinggis.

Hope you have had better luck Jabran? Can your resource get you the
names and locations of the towns and villages all around the area? I
keep hearing names but cant find the places.

On May 4, 3:34 am, Jabran <jabranrafi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Many thanks for quick efforts. We will keep you inform as we go along. All
> appreciations go to Omer who initiated the issue at first place!
>
> Regards,
> جabran
>
> On 3 May 2010 20:29, france lamy <france.la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jabran,
>
> > MM new imagery is now live. Please keep us informed of your efforts so
> > that we/partners can do our best to assist.
>
> > Thanks again for the great contribution!
> > France
>
> > On 5/2/10, Jabran <jabranrafi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Ok Thanks. In Map Maker we can involve locals to draw helpful features.
> > > Thanks
>
> > > Regards,
> > > جabran
>
> > > On 1 May 2010 04:41, france lamy <france.la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >> Hi Jabran,
>
> > >> I was looking at the location provided by momers -- high resolution
> > >> imagery is available, but not the most recent...my bad. I am really
> > >> sorry. I will ask our team to push this image, as a priority. I will
> > >> keep you informed, and thank you for your patience on this.
>
> >http://www.google.com/mapmaker?hl=en&q=atabad&gw=30&ll=36.313223,74.8...
>
> > >> 36°19'0.00"N,  74°47'60.00"E
>
> > >> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Jabran <jabranrafi...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >> > I am sorry, i doubt an update in Map Maker though its fine on Maps and
> > >> > Earth. Cheers
>
> >http://www.google.com/mapmaker?ll=36.304491,74.839554&spn=0.011638,0....
> > >> > Regards,
> > >> > جabran
>
> > >> > On 30 April 2010 10:48, Jabran <jabranrafi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >> >> Thanks a million. We get the ground resources know about this update
> > >> >> and
> > >> >> come back with some update! Thanks again.
>
> > >> >> Regards,
> > >> >> جabran
>
> > >> >> -----------------------
> > >> >> Sent from iPhone
>
> > >> >> On 29 Apr 2010, at 20:12, france lamy <france.la...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > >> >>> Good afternoon,
>
> > >> >>> New imagery over Atta-Abad is now live on Map Maker, Google Earth
> > and
> > >> >>> Google Maps! I understand that landslides continue to be a main
> > >> >>> concern for the local communities. And we trust that this imagery
> > and
> > >> >>> your mapping contributions will be useful to the response groups on
> > >> >>> the ground  -- providing key information about access to services,
> > >> >>> evacuation routes, community relocation areas, hazards zones, etc,
> > >> >>> etc..
>
> > >> >>> Please let us know how we can best assist.
>
> > >> >>> Thanks again,
> > >> >>> France
>
> > >> >>> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 11:52 PM, Jabran <jabranrafi...@gmail.com>
> > >> wrote:
>
> > >> >>>> Seems like my misake, I thought I have posted the update but I
> > didn't
> > >> in
> > >> >>>> fact. I proceeded the kmz file made with the downloaded image from
> > >> NASA
> > >> >>>> page
> > >> >>>> to SOP people. They also told me that they already was working on
> > >> >>>> acquisition of new imagery to provide it to disaster handler
> > >> department
> > >> >>>> ao
> > >> >>>> this could also help them. I'll contact this Saturday to check the
> > >> >>>> current
> > >> >>>> situation and see if this helped anyway. I'll post back. @Lior. It
> > >> >>>> was
> > >> >>>> said
> > >> >>>> that it will take couple of weeks to update. Is it done already?
> > >> Cheers
>
> > >> >>>> Regards,
> > >> >>>> جabran
>
> > >> >>>> -----------------------
> > >> >>>> Sent from iPhone
>
> > >> >>>> On 20 Apr 2010, at 06:51, momers <mom...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >> >>>>> and still nothing for Pk...while China gets some love....
>
> >http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2010/04/imagery-for-qinghai-china-...
> ...
>
> read more »

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "General Map Maker" group.
To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com.

Jabran

unread,
May 4, 2010, 3:01:25 AM5/4/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Omer, I would say tha it's not a different situation for me
either, unfortunately. But I'm not leaving the struggle. I'm directly
trying to make work out with SOP and NDMA as they are collaborating
together to help FWO in clearing up the land slide mess by providing
geographical information. According to NDMA's daily progress report,
it seems that they are doing not bad but I would more prefer the
ground realities as I do understand my government departmental
efficiencies. Will surely update if get anything moving ahead!

Regards,
جabran


-----------------------
Sent from iPhone

france lamy

unread,
May 8, 2010, 12:30:30 PM5/8/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Very good and please keep us informed. I am working very closely wit
various UN agencies and global NGOs, which may be involved with the
response efforts in Attabad. I will look for contacts and get back to
you asap.

Thanks!
France

Jabran

unread,
May 9, 2010, 8:29:11 PM5/9/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks France. 

FOCUS H.A. is one of the most active organisation working on grounds for relief efforts. Contact details are:

Ms. Nusrat Nasab
Deputy Executive Officer
Focus Humanitarian Assistance Pakistan
Telephone: +92-51 2294024; 2294051
Fax: +92-51 2294036
E-mail: 
nusrat...@focushumanitarian.org 


Updates:
May 9th 2010 - Water raise to dangerous level - http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=104454

This village named Shishkot was one of the three villages who sank in this disaster in January 2010. Now one of the main village, also the area's Tahsil Headquarter, Gulmit is under stack of increasing water level in this transformed lake where according to NDMA water level is increasing on daily average of 3 feet with so far a maximum height of 301.05 feet. Water inflow is 1894 Cusecs while seepage of water is 35 Cusecs only. The difference of water and excavation level is still 17.82 meters.

Regards,
جabran




2010/5/8 france lamy <france...@gmail.com>

Jabran Rafique

unread,
May 12, 2010, 2:21:23 AM5/12/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
It was good idea to subscribe to NASA Earth Obs. There was an update last night. I have made KMZ file and forwarded to all concerning people as well. Here are the links:


Latest update:

http://www.local.com.pk/hunza/landslide-2may2010.kmz

Cheers
 
Regards,
جabran



2010/5/10 Jabran <jabran...@gmail.com>

france

unread,
May 12, 2010, 2:07:23 PM5/12/10
to Map Your World - General Map Maker
Thanks for your update!

Here is mine: The "International Charter for Disasters" (http://
www.disasterscharter.org/home) was activated, see message below. The
International Charter aims at providing a unified system of space data
acquisition and delivery to those affected by natural or man-made
disasters. Thus in the coming week, we should expect new imagery to be
acquired over the affected area, and be made available to the
humanitarian community. I will keep you informed. And if you want me
to intro you to the folks listed below, please let me know.

Cheers,
France

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: UN Space Aid <spac...@unoosa.org>
Date: Wed, May 12, 2010 at 9:27 AM
Subject: [SpaceAid] Charter Activation Request for imminent artificial
dam leakage in Pakistan
To: spac...@ungiwg.org
Cc: Peter PODPROCKY <Peter.P...@unoosa.org>, UN Space Aid
<spac...@unoosa.org>, Lorant CZARAN <Lorant...@unoosa.org>


Dear colleague,

This is to inform you that at the request of UNOCHA Pakistan, UNOOSA
has requested the activation of the International Charter: Space and
Major Disasters to monitor a situation with regard to imminent
spilling of water from an artificial dam in the area of Hunza River in
Pakistan.

On 4 January 2010, a massive landslide triggered a nearly 1.5 KM wide
blockage (referred to as the ‘Dam’) across Hunza River and Karakoram
Highway (KKH) at Ataabad, 15 KMs east of Karimabad ( Hunza-Nagar
district). The blockage of the Hunza River has created a Lake that
extends nearly 15 kilometers into Gojal Tehsil of upper Hunza. 110
families have been displaced and valuable agricultural land and fruit
orchards are lost. 30,000 population in upper Hunza, as a consequence,
is isolated from market access and essential social services. The Lake
water is expected to overtop / outflow through the 30 meters deep
spillway (under construction) within the next days. As per UNOCHA
there is immediate danger to life and property. Satellite imagery is
needed to monitor, plan evacuation and support possible response
actions.

Please find below the coordinates of the Area of Interest for your
information.

Upper right
Lat. : 36°28'54.73"N
Lon.: 74°55'14.06"E

Lower left
Lat. : 35°21'55.28"N
Lon.: 74° 4'56.19"E

Respective space-based information and contact details will be made
available at: http://www.un-spider.org/

If you require immediate specific information, please send your
requests to: spac...@unoosa.org

with best regards,
Michael Leitgab

On May 11, 11:21 pm, Jabran Rafique <jabranrafi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It was good idea to subscribe to NASA Earth Obs. There was an update  
> last night. I have made KMZ file and forwarded to all concerning  
> people as well. Here are the links:
>
> http://www.local.com.pk/hunza/landslide.kmz
>
> Latest update:
>
> http://www.local.com.pk/hunza/landslide-2may2010.kmz
>
> Cheers
>
> Regards,
> جabran
>
> 2010/5/10 Jabran <jabranrafi...@gmail.com>
> Thanks France.
>
> FOCUS H.A. is one of the most active organisation working on grounds  
> for relief efforts. Contact details are:
>
> Ms. Nusrat Nasab
> Deputy Executive Officer
> Focus Humanitarian Assistance Pakistan
> Telephone: +92-51 2294024; 2294051
> Fax: +92-51 2294036
> E-mail: nusrat.na...@focushumanitarian.org
>
> Updates:
> May 2nd 2010 - Work progresshttp://www.thenews.com.pk/print1.asp?id=237082
> FWO Press release -http://fwo.com.pk/press.php?page=3&type=pressRelease&pressid=22&date=...
> May 9th 2010 - Water raise to dangerous level -http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=104454
>
> This village named Shishkot was one of the three villages who sank in  
> this disaster in January 2010. Now one of the main village, also the  
> area's Tahsil Headquarter, Gulmit is under stack of increasing water  
> level in this transformed lake where according to NDMA water level is  
> increasing on daily average of 3 feet with so far a maximum height of  
> 301.05 feet. Water inflow is 1894 Cusecs while seepage of water is 35  
> Cusecs only. The difference of water and excavation level is still  
> 17.82 meters.
>
> Regards,
> جabran
>
> 2010/5/8 france lamy <france.la...@gmail.com>
>
> Very good and please keep us informed. I am working very closely wit
> various UN agencies and global NGOs, which may be involved with the
> response efforts in Attabad. I will look for contacts and get back to
> you asap.
>
> Thanks!
> France
>
> ...
>
> read more »
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "General Map Maker" group.
> To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to google-mapmak...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/google-mapmaker?hl=en.
>
>  text_html_part
> < 1KViewDownload

Jabran

unread,
May 12, 2010, 3:02:45 PM5/12/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Great! I think it will be good to be in contact and Omer can make the most of their contact as he resides inside the country while I will still be able to assist and refer them to further sources whereas possible. Please keep us informed. Thanks

Recent update:  Gulmit town is already surrounded by water disconnecting it with rest of towns at ground level resulted it to become an island and third village to sink in lake.

Regards,
Jabran



2010/5/12 france <france...@gmail.com>

Jabran

unread,
May 12, 2010, 3:16:28 PM5/12/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Also I am going to use the NASA's latest imagery to map the place at Map Maker so it will be usable by all these orgs as soon as they needed.

Regards,
Jabran



2010/5/12 Jabran <jabran...@gmail.com>

momers

unread,
May 18, 2010, 3:44:41 AM5/18/10
to Map Your World - General Map Maker
Okay so i have just spoken to the FOCUS contact person and she in
principle agrees on sharing some data keeping her organizations
policies in check.

I need to share a wish list of what kind of data we want. Please paste
here:

1. Maps of actual original settlements, or locations of all
settlements (villages/towns/hamlets) in the region
2. Relief camps
3. Medical aid camps
4. New routes in the areas
5. List of villages at risk in case of dam burst
6. statistics on the agri economy of the area, orchards, farms,
fields, locations is available
7. Active land slide areas or zones of recurring activity
.
.
.
.


What else?


On May 13, 12:16 am, Jabran <jabranrafi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also I am going to use the NASA's latest imagery to map the place at Map
> Maker so it will be usable by all these orgs as soon as they needed.
>
> Regards,
> Jabran
>
> 2010/5/12 Jabran <jabranrafi...@gmail.com>
>
> > Great! I think it will be good to be in contact and Omer can make the most
> > of their contact as he resides inside the country while I will still be able
> > to assist and refer them to further sources whereas possible. Please keep us
> > informed. Thanks
>
> > Recent update:  Gulmit town is already surrounded by water disconnecting it
> > with rest of towns at ground level resulted it to become an island and third
> > village to sink in lake.
>
> > Regards,
> > Jabran
>
> > 2010/5/12 france <france.la...@gmail.com>
> >> requests to: space...@unoosa.org
> >> > FWO Press release -

Omer Sheikh

unread,
May 18, 2010, 4:13:06 AM5/18/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Just fyi.

Didnt see this on the Pamir Times site, just had this forwarded via an email.

Some good info and before and  afters.
Attaabad_lake[1].pdf

Jabran

unread,
May 18, 2010, 4:39:04 AM5/18/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
- seepage detail with number of natural and manually made seepage
spillways.

- heard about considering new route/layout for N-35, if they have any
idea/info about that.

- an estimate in dates for water level to be on normal flow from date
when lake bursts.

Will write if anything more comes up.

Regards,
جabran


-----------------------
Sent from iPhone

Jabran

unread,
May 18, 2010, 2:33:50 PM5/18/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Good report. It does seem like that rest of all agencies or even individuals are doing very well than what government is doing in such cases of making information and data public. All I found was this report made back in earlier days http://www.ndma.gov.pk/Documents/Hunza_Landslide_2010/Hunza%20Repor.pdf I am sure there must be new report as well but it is not made public anywhere yet..

Regards,
جabran



2010/5/18 Omer Sheikh <mom...@gmail.com>

KA

unread,
May 18, 2010, 5:34:19 PM5/18/10
to Map Your World - General Map Maker
Guys you are awesome. I am just feeling good seeing this effort on
mapmaker and ashamed in the same time that I am seeing it very
lately... :/

Thanks france for your quick updates on imagery issues.
And Thanks Jabran and Omer, being a great help in this regard, as most
of the people do not even know what actually is going on there and how
much critical the situation has been till now..

Also I couldn't get about the wishlist you guys mentioned above,
repeating below.
=================================================
1. Maps of actual original settlements, or locations of all
settlements (villages/towns/hamlets) in the region
2. Relief camps
3. Medical aid camps
4. New routes in the areas
5. List of villages at risk in case of dam burst
6. statistics on the agri economy of the area, orchards, farms,
fields, locations is available
7. Active land slide areas or zones of recurring activity
8. seepage detail with number of natural and manually made seepage
spillways.
9. heard about considering new route/layout for N-35, if they have
any
idea/info about that.
10. an estimate in dates for water level to be on normal flow from
date
when lake bursts.
=================================================

What are these? Do we need people to get information/data listed
above?
I personally do not know any one local there but Is it good for asking
locals (or the people living nearer to the locations) to put
information on to the MapMaker about the locations involved in this
situation?
What if someone could manage to get people from local online forums, I
am not sure but would it be good or be any kind help?




Regards
KA

On May 18, 11:33 pm, Jabran <jabranrafi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good report. It does seem like that rest of all agencies or even individuals
> are doing very well than what government is doing in such cases of making
> information and data public. All I found was this report made back in
> earlier dayshttp://www.ndma.gov.pk/Documents/Hunza_Landslide_2010/Hunza%20Repor.pdfI am
> sure there must be new report as well but it is not made public anywhere
> yet..
>
> Regards,
> جabran
>
> 2010/5/18 Omer Sheikh <mom...@gmail.com>
>
>
>
> > Just fyi.
>
> > Didnt see this on the Pamir Times site, just had this forwarded via an
> > email.
>
> > Some good info and before and  afters.
>
> > On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 00:16, Jabran <jabranrafi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Also I am going to use the NASA's latest imagery to map the place at Map
> >> Maker so it will be usable by all these orgs as soon as they needed.
>
> >> Regards,
> >> Jabran
>
> >> 2010/5/12 Jabran <jabranrafi...@gmail.com>
>
> >> Great! I think it will be good to be in contact and Omer can make the most
> >>> of their contact as he resides inside the country while I will still be able
> >>> to assist and refer them to further sources whereas possible. Please keep us
> >>> informed. Thanks
>
> >>> Recent update:  Gulmit town is already surrounded by water disconnecting
> >>> it with rest of towns at ground level resulted it to become an island and
> >>> third village to sink in lake.
>
> >>> Regards,
> >>> Jabran
>
> >>> 2010/5/12 france <france.la...@gmail.com>
>
> >>> Thanks for your update!
>
> >>>> Here is mine: The "International Charter for Disasters" (http://
> >>>>www.disasterscharter.org/home) was activated, see message below. The
> >>>> International Charter aims at providing a unified system of space data
> >>>> acquisition and delivery to those affected by natural or man-made
> >>>> disasters. Thus in the coming week, we should expect new imagery to be
> >>>> acquired over the affected area, and be made available to the
> >>>> humanitarian community. I will keep you informed. And if you want me
> >>>> to intro you to the folks listed below, please let me know.
>
> >>>> Cheers,
> >>>> France
>
> >>>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> >>>> From: UN Space Aid <space...@unoosa.org>
> >>>> Date: Wed, May 12, 2010 at 9:27 AM
> >>>> Subject: [SpaceAid] Charter Activation Request for imminent artificial
> >>>> dam leakage in Pakistan
> >>>> To: space...@ungiwg.org
> >>>> Cc: Peter PODPROCKY <Peter.PODPRO...@unoosa.org>, UN Space Aid
> >>>> <space...@unoosa.org>, Lorant CZARAN <Lorant.CZA...@unoosa.org>
>
> >>>> requests to: space...@unoosa.org
> >>>> > FWO Press release -
> >>>>http://fwo.com.pk/press.php?page=3&type=pressRelease&pressid=22&date=.
> >>>> ..

Jabran

unread,
May 19, 2010, 2:03:19 AM5/19/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks KA. This wishlist information is actually expected from Omer
who is in contact with FOCUS, an organisation active on ground. France
is also helping us to get in touch with the people working on ground
so the data sync on support page can be balanaced. UN SPIDER SpaceAid
has activated to provide any available data including scheduled
imagery as well on request of International Disaster. It'll be great
and much appreciated to get any body on map maker from loca area to
update the map data for relief efforts. Even drawing a new
transportation path or a camp/temp settlement can be helpful. Keep in
touch KA.

Thanks

Regards,
جabran


-----------------------
Sent from iPhone

France Lamy

unread,
May 19, 2010, 1:32:27 AM5/19/10
to Map Your World - General Map Maker
I totally agree this is useful & important work -- thanks on behalf of
the local and humanitarian community!

Please help map this area -- the coordinates of the affected area:

Upper Right :
Lat: 36°28'54.73"N
Long: 74°55'14.06"E

Lower Left :
Lat: 35°21'55.28"N
Long: 74° 4'56.19"E

Here is my update:

(-) A listing of available imagery available for the flooding in
Pakistan can be found at:
http://www.un-spider.org/page/3505/un-spider-spaceaid-available-space-based-information-floods-pakistan-may-10-ongoing

(-) interesting links

SAFER Project report -- www.emergencyresponse.eu/site/docs_wsw/RUB_30/20100512_ProjectReport_HunzaDam_I1.pdf

Reference Map - http://www.un-spider.org/sites/default/files/Reference%20Map%20-%20Pakistan%20Flood.jpg

SAFER Preparedness-Prevention -
http://www.un-spider.org/sites/default/files/SAFER%20Preparedness-Prevention%20-%20Hunza%20River%20Pakistan.kmz

Lake extent_15_May_2010 -- http://www.un-spider.org/sites/default/files/Lake%20extent_15_May_2010.kmz

(-) OCHA contact
Christian Cricboom
Information Management Officer
United Nations Office for the Coordination of the Humanitarian Aid
(UNOCHA)
UN House #12, Street #17, F-7/2, Islamabad, PAKISTAN
tel: +92-51-835-5624
cell: +92-302-851-3207
Email: cric...@un.org

More to come...I am closely following the situation.

France
> > >>>> This is to inform you that at the request of UNOCHAPakistan, UNOOSA
> > >>>> has requested the activation of the International Charter: Space and
> > >>>> Major Disasters to monitor a situation with regard to imminent
> > >>>> spilling of water from an artificial dam in the area of Hunza River in
> > >>>>Pakistan.
>
> > >>>> On 4 January 2010, a massivelandslidetriggered a nearly 1.5 KM wide
> > >>>> > 2010/5/8 francelamy<france.la...@gmail.com>
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages