Displaying my current location on my website for my journey

Silver

Feb 10, 2011, 11:40:37 AM2/10/11
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am planning a motorcycle journey across Turkey, and I have a plan to display my location LIVE on my website (where I'll be blogging during the trip) for my visitors to be able to track me. This will also be an extra safety measure for me.

I will be carrying an Android phone with Latitude, which will be plugged into my motorcycle. My website is at http://www.onehellofaride.com/ and you can see the Google Maps map right below the header if you go there. Again, the idea is to show my current location on that map.

I'm going to be signed in through my Google account to Latitude on my Android. My question is, how do I authorize the web application on my website to use my Google account and fetch my personal Latitude history for everyone to see on the my map? Thanks much!

Kind regards,
Silver

Ana Ulin

Feb 10, 2011, 11:48:17 AM2/10/11
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi Silver,

Instead of trying to build a custom app for this, have you considered
simply embedding the Latitude pulbic location badge in your blog? You
can enable it here:
https://www.google.com/latitude/apps

Cheers,
Ana

Davy

Feb 10, 2011, 11:53:56 AM2/10/11
to Google Latitude API
As you don't mind sharing your location with the world, you can enable
Google Public Location Badge on your blog.
This provides an easy integration to share your current location with
all your blog visitors.

Keep in mind that if you want to capture & upload accurate GPS
positioning to Latitude, you'll need to have Latitude running in the
front on your phone at all time. Otherwize it will fallback to Cell ID
or WIFI based location, and that's far less accurate.

On Feb 10, 5:40 pm, Silver <sssil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am planning a motorcycle journey across Turkey, and I have a plan to
> display my location LIVE on my website (where I'll be blogging during the
> trip) for my visitors to be able to track me. This will also be an extra
> safety measure for me.
>
> I will be carrying an Android phone with Latitude, which will be plugged
> into my motorcycle. My website is athttp://www.onehellofaride.com/and you

Silver

Feb 10, 2011, 12:03:44 PM2/10/11
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The reason why I can't use the Location badge is because I want to display my current location in a pretty custom fashion on an embedded Google Maps map that you can see on my homepage if you go there -- http://www.onehellofaride.com/.

I have made an effort to make this fit into my design, and would like my current location to appear on that map right under the header, with a nice custom icon. I don't mind the effort, I just need to find out about authorization.

Thanks.

Silver

Feb 10, 2011, 12:07:01 PM2/10/11
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your response Ana,

I have considered the Location Badge, however it is too simple for what I need.

It is absolutely essential for me to display my location on my custom Google Maps map which I display under my website's header. I also want to use custom icons and animate some things, using the wonderful Google Maps Javascript API v.3.

The only thing I need to find out at this point is -- how do I authorize my very own Gmail account using my web application "behind the scene" to get access to Latitude data. I understand OAuth won't work for that?

Thanks again.

Ana Ulin

Feb 10, 2011, 1:15:11 PM2/10/11
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi Silver,

You have to go through the OAuth process to get a valid token to
access your own data through the API. You can do this using, for
example, the OACurl app; we have some examples of how to use OACurl
here:
http://code.google.com/apis/latitude/oacurl.html

You will still have to register a domain with Google in order to get
your consumer key and secret, which you will need in order to get a
OAuth token. Read the "Authentication and authorization" section of
our "Using REST" docs for details:
http://code.google.com/apis/latitude/v1/using_rest.html#auth

Cheers,
Ana

Silver

Feb 10, 2011, 7:36:55 PM2/10/11
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for your help Ana!

So, suppose I manually login using a script through OAuth and obtain a token. Will this token work forever and never expire?

Thanks,
Silver

Ana Ulin

Feb 10, 2011, 7:43:35 PM2/10/11
to google-la...@googlegroups.com

It will work until you revoke it, which you can do at
http://www.google.com/accounts (under "authorized websites")

Cheers,
Ana

> Thanks,
> Silver

Remi Grumeau

Mar 17, 2014, 5:26:37 AM3/17/14
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
This is the exact reason why i created www.pocket-locator.com.
And this is doing exactly what you are trying to do.
(even if that was 3 years ago :) )

eher...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2014, 7:59:14 AM3/17/14
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
It would be cooler if it were open source :)
Ernie

Keith Irwin