Re: [google-latitude-api] Google Latitude API will be turned down on August 9th

Chris Johnson

Jul 10, 2013, 1:03:06 PM7/10/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Accessing location history data via the API will not be available, but will any of the API remain? Can an application still insert location data? For iOS users, will the Google Search/Google Now app continue to update location history for access via http://www.google.com/locationhistory?

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Google Latitude API <google-la...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Earlier today, we announced that we will be retiring Google Latitude.

What does this mean for you and your users?

On August 9th, 2013, programmatic access to the API, including Location History data, will no longer be available.

End users will also no longer be able to access location data or manage Latitude privacy controls using your application(s). Please notify your users of the upcoming changes and modify your application(s) if necessary.

Thank you for creating applications that use Google Latitude.  It's never an easy decision to deprecate an API, but we appreciate your understanding and continued support of our Google Maps APIs.

Sincerely,

The Google Latitude Team

Brian Gaugler

Jul 10, 2013, 1:04:49 PM7/10/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com

No.  API is being shutdown completely to third party apps.  :-(

Chris Johnson

Jul 10, 2013, 1:09:26 PM7/10/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
That's really too bad. My iOS app records history for later upload even in the absence of a network connection, which the Google Search app for iOS doesn't do. I'd be reasonably happy with the situation if I could at least insert locations, even if I lose the ability to access history via the API.

Is there a way to download all of my history from http://www.google.com/locationhistory? It appears that you can only go through in at most 30-day increments and export it to a KML file.

Jonathan Bond

Brian Gaugler

Jul 10, 2013, 1:14:18 PM7/10/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com

It doesn't sound like the location history dashboard is going away (yet) but in terms of the api, we can't even do inserts

Josh Livni

Jul 10, 2013, 2:31:16 PM7/10/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brian, that's correct.

There are no plans to remove the location history dashboard, or user access to their own location history. After the Latitude API is unavailable, Google Takeout will continue to work for exporting your location history, but there will no longer be an API for developers to insert new items into the location history on behalf of other users.

On Jul 10, 2013 1:09 PM, "Chris Johnson" <captai...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Claudiu O

Jul 10, 2013, 4:26:44 PM7/10/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
My app is not inserting new items in the history, is just reading my own current location, will this still be possible after Latitude is shut down? How?

Thanks!

Dave Tapley

Jul 10, 2013, 4:27:36 PM7/10/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Josh:

there will no longer be an API for developers to insert new items into the location history on behalf of other users.

Is that a subtle hint that the API will still be available for reading location history? :)

Davy

Jul 10, 2013, 4:30:24 PM7/10/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
I think the official support page is pretty clear on that
  • Third Party Applications
    Applications that use the Latitude API will no longer be able to access your location data, including Location History data, on Google servers. However, these non-Google applications may continue to store data they’ve already accessed. Please contact the developer of these applications for more information.

Josh Livni

Jul 10, 2013, 5:09:17 PM7/10/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Davy,

My initial response was aimed just at the original question about inserts.  As noted in the support page, all access (read and write) will be unavailable after August 9.

To add further details, after August 9, the only way to read location history data is for the owner of that data to access it directly via google.com/locationhistory (where you can also export it via kml), and/or export it via google.com/takeout.  In other words, not possible for third party developers to access that data on behalf of other users.

Claudiu O

Jul 10, 2013, 5:40:28 PM7/10/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Josh for clarifications.

The locationhistory dashboard is fine but that doesn't work if I need to read the location periodically in an app. My hope is that there will be some new calls added to G+ API to make this possible.
Message has been deleted

Nenad Supurovic

Simon Opelt

Jul 11, 2013, 4:05:21 AM7/11/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
That really does not look too good... As big fans of Latitude and Latify the news hit us really bad... especially for trips to countries without good data plans Latify was a big win for us and our customers.

We just integrated Latitude in time cockpit two months ago and now it is gone?

For our customers and use case we could live with a read-only history API ... but loosing the benefit of GPS-only, periodic updates through Latify still sucks ... :-/

Simon Opelt

Jul 11, 2013, 4:06:24 AM7/11/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
wow ... I really should have used another client ... sorry for the horrible reply-post :-/

Deryk Piper

Jul 11, 2013, 9:59:26 AM7/11/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
The only only only reason I can think of for Google killing the Latitude API is that they want to "own" the location data they've collected.  They're keeping Location History - so the location data will continue to exist and they'll continue to collect it - but now they're pretty much telling all 3rd parties to get lost.

In my mind this is totally different than the shutdown of Google Reader (and its unofficial API).  Google washed its hands of that service entirely.  In the case of Latitude they're moving it to G+ Locations (which I understand), and shutting off 3rd-party access to Location History (which I don't understand)

What changed?

If Location History is sticking around, then the entire backend necessary to support History will also be sticking around.  Google will continue to insert data into this datastore in the form of location reporting from Android and iOS devices.  The operations themselves are quite simple - list, retrieve, update, delete.  These are the same operations that have been available in the Latitude API for years.  Why turn them off for 3rd-party apps?

Zap Andersson

Jul 11, 2013, 2:19:24 PM7/11/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
True true!

For something like this I'd expect a YEAR+ retirement, not a MONTH- !??

/Z

On 2013-07-11 02:50, Nenad Supurovic wrote:
> I am really disappointed with your decision to kill Google Latitude API.
> I will stop investing my time to any other Google APIs, considering you
> have already turned all of us down with NO alternatives - just like
> that! This is simply... not nice.
>
> Nenad
>
> On Wednesday, 10 July 2013 19:03:06 UTC+2, Chris Johnson wrote:
>
> Accessing location history data via the API will not be available,
> but will any of the API remain? Can an application still insert
> location data? For iOS users, will the Google Search/Google Now app
> continue to update location history for access via
> http://www.google.com/locationhistory
> <http://www.google.com/locationhistory>?
>

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Google Latitude API
> <google-la...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> Earlier today, we announced
> <http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-new-google-maps-app-for-smartphone.html>
> that we will be retiring Google Latitude.
>
> What does this mean for you and your users?
>
> *On August 9th, 2013, programmatic access to the API, including
> Location History data, will no longer be available. *
>
> End users will also no longer be able to access location data or
> manage Latitude privacy controls using your application(s).
> Please notify your users of the upcoming changes and modify your
> application(s) if necessary.
>
> Thank you for creating applications that use Google Latitude.
> It's never an easy decision to deprecate an API, but we
> appreciate your understanding and continued support of our
> Google Maps APIs.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> The Google Latitude Team
>
> --
>

> --

Hakan "Zap" Andersson | Music and Software Wizard | Get this joke?
Z...@Master-Zap.com | http://www.Master-Zap.com | Q: 0x2b | ~0x2B
ha...@Almby.com | http://www.zaptronic.com | A: 42
"'twas brillig, and the slithy toves, did gyre and gimble in the wabe.
All mimsy were the borogoves, and the mome raths outgrabe" - L. Carroll
"It doesn't matter how fast you can compute the wrong result" - Me

Andreas Englund

Jul 14, 2013, 8:04:39 AM7/14/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Couldn't agree more. This is pure madness from Google. Many users of latitude are hardcore Android and Google users. The kind of crowd Google really needs.

Lawrence Chiu

Jul 16, 2013, 2:56:16 AM7/16/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Agreed.  Updates into location history isn't being removed, why restrict this access from 3rd party apps?

I suspect it was a PRISM initiative so now Google controls your location updates and can confirm your location and location history without it being tainted by 3rd party app updates.

Ironically though, the Google Latitude updates into location history are rubbish and inaccurate where backitude was far more precise and also provided the service offline.  So unless Google improves their Location tracking (both online and offline) it seems PRISM will be getting a wealth of less accurate data than before ;)

Shame shame shame...

Chris Johnson

Jul 16, 2013, 9:59:46 AM7/16/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
I wish Google could just preserve the ability for third-party apps to insert locations. I've been using my own iOS background updater, and it lets me have some control over the precision and the frequency of updates; it allows me to update manually; and it records locations when it's offline. For the last week I've been trying to use the Google Search app to update my location (which is the only non-third-party method available for iOS at the moment), and it allows none of this. The updates are sporadic, and it allows super-low-precision updates, so my location can appear to jump around.

Please consider at least having an API to insert locations.

Brian Gaugler

Jul 16, 2013, 10:12:41 AM7/16/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
If I had to guess, I believe they are shutting down the API to all systems including the remaining location history dashboard and new Google+ Locations system because then Google is the only source of the location data coming in.   By being the only source they can claim ownership and sell the values to advertisers/prism.

This is the type of income that keeps Google going strong, so I'm not surprised but it's pretty unfortunate considering the lack of accuracy/efficiency in the past and the lack of control past and future.

Deryk Piper

Jul 16, 2013, 10:39:41 AM7/16/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Regarding the offline mode that many 3rd-party reporting apps support:

The inability to have access to that data is a gaping hole from the perspective of Google if they're truly interested in having a complete picture of user's whereabouts.  Again, the fact that they're keeping History active is evidence that they don't just want realtime location data, they want a record of your whereabouts over a period of time.  This is actually lucrative information for them to have in the context of data mining.

Again, I don't understand their decision.

eher...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2013, 11:29:12 AM7/16/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know of full third-party replacements, including background phone updater app and service itself? I used to use a combination of mologogo/xtify and my own web app, but let it all fall into serious disrepair as I upgraded phones and latitude appeared. Latitude hasn't really been making me happy in general lately so I'm not too surprised or disappointed to hear about all of this.
Ernie

Doug Simmons

Jul 16, 2013, 3:27:45 PM7/16/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
E Hershey:

Regarding a third party substitute to Latitude, it's kind of overkill (unless you like nerd value) though worth suggesting: take a look at TrackMe. Been around for several years. Basically it's like Backitude in terms of being able to configure under what circumstances to take a snapshot of your location (plus your heading and speed), though it also can store and export data either locally, on the developer's server (for free, you make yourself an account) or on your own server if you're inclined and know a little LAMP, or on your phone first until it has a signal or until you tell it to upload, or no uploading, just exporting to your computer and so forth.

No interaction with Latitude's API: It can work offline or update each position to wherever whenever it has a signal, and you can track a phone running it remotely, and review your saved trips, on a web browser (for example you aim your browser at the guy's http://server/, you log in, then you see a Google Maps thing with your data overlaid, like Google's Crisis Landing (so I guess your phone's browser can handle it), or export it into Google Earth. Take pictures and have it slap them onto the kml, whatever -- it's impressive.

For surreptitious use, you can have it start minimized and on boot by default, also it has SMS functions for triggering the program, stopping it and having it text you the phone's long/lat (well, its best guess). Like I said, probably overkill for what you have in mind, maybe this Glympse thing others have mentioned is for you.

Doug

Nenad Supurovic (Gmail)

Jul 16, 2013, 6:59:30 PM7/16/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody!

I am also looking for some substitute for unfortunate Latitude in a dog tracking application. Here is what I used to do in the past:

My husky dog has a TK-102 GPS tracker in his collar and every minute it sends it's coordinates to my server using IP packets and GSM network. The server then forwards the coordinates to Google Latitude server, using Latitude API, thus updating my dog's location. When needed (when the husky is +/- lost in space), I can open Google Maps (with Latitude) application on my mobile phone and track the dog's and my position simultanously and in realtime. This way I can quickly find his location/direction relative to mine and go finding him - even if we are out of urban area and without some apperent landmarks to help for orientation.

Now, when the Latitude API is gone, I need to find out another solution with the similar key features:

1. A server with possibility to update USER1's location using some documented API (or to be able to receive IP packets from TK-102 directly!).
2. An Android or Symbian application able to update USER2's location from a mobile phone.
3. The same application should present both USER1 and USER2 realtime locations simultaneously on a map.

Alternatively, USER2 location doesn't really need to be updated to the server but only to be presented locally on the mobile phone, like Google Maps does anyway.

Does anybody have any idea of some existing service which can do this? I don't care about location history, like tracks, I just need the realtime data. Many thanks for any suggestions!

Nenad

t...@esplorio.com

Jul 26, 2013, 11:18:08 AM7/26/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ernie,

(we've been working on a replacement for Google Latitude for a while now).

HTH!

Tim

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Chris Johnson <captai...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wish Google could just preserve the ability for third-party apps to insert locations. I've been using my own iOS background updater, and it lets me have some control over the precision and the frequency of updates; it allows me to update manually; and it records locations when it's offline. For the last week I've been trying to use the Google Search app to update my location (which is the only non-third-party method available for iOS at the moment), and it allows none of this. The updates are sporadic, and it allows super-low-precision updates, so my location can appear to jump around.

Please consider at least having an API to insert locations.

Brian Gaugler

Jul 26, 2013, 11:22:05 AM7/26/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com

Will this be a true latitude replacement or more of a location history dashboard replacement?  I didn't see anything at first glance about sharing current location in realtime with friends.  Is that coming too?  Thanks

t...@esplorio.com

Jul 26, 2013, 11:50:11 AM7/26/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brian,

Sorry, I should have explained which parts of Latitude we are looking at (location history and location reporting) - sharing current location in realtime with friends is not currently on our immediate roadmap, but we never say never (if there are enough people asking us for it we'll definitely look into it)! For the time being we're all about keeping a history and giving you as much use out of it as possible i.e. stats, day by day views, trip views and of course integration with your other networks.

Lots more to come though and we're always keen to hear what people want!

Thanks,

Tim

On Jul 26, 2013 11:18 AM, <t...@esplorio.com> wrote:
[...]

eher...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2013, 12:55:46 PM7/26/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

Sounds awesome to me. I signed up on the website. Will you give the mailing list (or just me :) ) an invite code?

Ernie

t...@esplorio.com

Jul 26, 2013, 1:16:05 PM7/26/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ernie,

Just sent you an invite :) - at the moment as we're in a private beta we need to limit signups especially for Latitude users as it strains our servers quite a bit! We're working on being cleverer about how we store/manipulate the data but people who sign up before the 8th of August we'll try to make sure they get an invite before Latitude goes dead!

Tim

eher...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2013, 2:56:17 PM8/1/13
to google-la...@googlegroups.com
I found an app/service that replaces most of what I was using latitude for - http://www.moves-app.com/

One downside is that it's ios-only with Android planned for the future. Another is that the API, albeit impressive overall and rich with functionality, is read-only (no uploading location data).

Despite those caveats, I'm really impressed. I'm basically ready to stop using latitude already thanks to Moves.

Ernie