How to install Picasa on Linux Mint Tara 19 Cinnamon ? - error

Philippe de Pompignan

Aug 25, 2018, 3:41:22 AM8/25/18
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Hello,When i launch Picasa in my Linux Mint Tara 19 Cinnamon, I got  this :
1) .. Would you liye to install 32-bits OpenSSL now ?
2) I answered "Yes"
3) And then I got : " Don't know how to install openssl on LinuxMint"

Can-you help me ?
Thanks.

PS : My Picasa is picasa-3.0.0-build-57.4402.deb

hai nguyen

Sep 3, 2018, 1:39:43 AM9/3/18
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Got same problem!
I checked and openssl is already installed, but don't know if it is 64 or 32bit

someone can help?

Philippe de Pompignan

Sep 3, 2018, 3:37:00 AM9/3/18
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Yes. openssl os already installés. My system is on 64 bits.

thank you for tour help.

Envoyé par TypeApp

Ecenrolf

Sep 5, 2018, 1:03:17 AM9/5/18
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Same here too... :-(
"Don't know how to repackage /tmp/tmp.34n61MYkMg/lib32ss10.9.9.deb. "

hai nguyen

Sep 5, 2018, 1:03:17 AM9/5/18
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Hi Philippe

To my understanding now the installed openssl is 64bit and we need 32bit version (picasa is 32bit).
I installed openssl1.0 (I hoped it is 32bit), but problem remained.
I tried to install picasa 64bit but it also requires openssl, I think the core in picasa64 is 32bit.
I gave up!

However, I am using now picasa via Wine and it works well, version 3.9 (for linux version 3.0 is latest, seems no different though).
It was also tough to install Wine and picasa, so here are some notes:
- go to winehq website, download and install the latest version of wine from there (not from package manager in your OS)
- do NOT install Playonlinux or Q4wine (they are interface for Wine, they install Wine if we have not, but somehow they suck), you may install winetricks (simpler wine managing app)
- once you have Wine, install picasa (for windows) and use it as normal. You may also unzip the picasa installer, and directly execute picasa3.exe (via Wine of course)

PS: actually I could use picasa/wine before trying to install picasa for linux, but it keep CPU running hot. However, the problem disappeared now, no idea why.

Hope that help
Hai

On Saturday, 25 August 2018 09:41:22 UTC+2, Philippe de Pompignan wrote:
Hello,When i launch Picasa in my Linux Mint Tara 19 Cinnamon, I got  this :
1) .. Would you liye to install 32-bits OpenSSL now ?
2) I answered "Yes"
3) And then I got : " Don't know how to install openssl on LinuxMint"

Can-you help me ?
Thanks.

PS : My Picasa is picasa-3.0.0-build-57.4402.deb

DancesWithCars

Sep 8, 2018, 1:07:38 AM9/8/18
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Iirc picasa is end of life,
So not sure why you all think
it should work...

The Real Bev

Sep 9, 2018, 12:01:12 PM9/9/18
On 09/07/2018 09:56 AM, DancesWithCars wrote:
> Iirc picasa is end of life,
> So not sure why you all think
> it should work...

Because it DID work and we invested a lot of effort in its organization.
I installed the 32-bit library capability just so I could keep using
it in slackware. The worst thing google ever did was convert picasaweb
to 'photos'.

I still use the program for editing -- it does everything I want. I
still have the .exe, .deb and .rpm files. Also the Picasatool for Android.

--
Cheers, Bev
Nothing is so stupid that you can't find somebody who

Freerk Jongsma

Apr 8, 2019, 1:02:19 PM4/8/19
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Bev,
I also use Picasa on Linux Mint.
With Wine 32 bit.
I do have a few problems; it´s quiting with an error when I try to use the geolocation option.
Picasa does detect the geo location (Red pilon) and in the information i see a correct notationb for Nb and El
Does this still work on yours?

Freerk Jongsma

hai nguyen

Apr 8, 2019, 1:17:34 PM4/8/19
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
No, I quit

Using Windows now, another prbl i had is printer driver, could not find one working probably.

Hai

The Real Bev

Apr 8, 2019, 1:53:58 PM4/8/19
On 04/05/2019 05:34 AM, Freerk Jongsma wrote:
> Bev,
> I also use Picasa on Linux Mint.
> With Wine 32 bit.
> I do have a few problems; it´s quiting with an error when I try to use
> the geolocation option.
> Picasa does detect the geo location (Red pilon) and in the information i
> see a correct notationb for Nb and El
> Does this still work on yours?

Not a clue, I never wanted to save location info with photos. Good luck.

--
Cheers, Bev
666øF -- the oven temperature for roast beast.

graemev

Apr 9, 2019, 8:03:43 AM4/9/19
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Be thankful that it crashes :-)

When I last tried this, many years ago, it put Picasa in a spin. Much worse was that the spin was persistent . Shutting Picasa down, rebooting, power off, it still went into a spin . Fortunately I had backups of the XML files. Using diff I found a boolean that was changed . I set it back, the spins stopped. Now I take great care to avoid the geolocation options in Picasa.