Guice 6.0 & 7.0 release candidates, Jakarta support

Sam Berlin

May 5, 2023, 3:10:53 PM5/5/23
to google...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone,

I'm pleased to announce that Guice has two new release candidates available:

 * Guice 6.0.0-rc2: The release page has more details, but the TL;DR is that this release fixed a number of bugs, closed all open pull requests, and added `jakarta.inject` support alongside the existing `javax.inject` support. (The `jakarta.inject` support is almost complete, with the caveat that binder(..).toProvider() methods aren't supported for jakarta providers.)  Again, see the release notes for complete details & explanations of the javax -> jakarta change.  The servlet & persist extensions remain javax only for Guice 6.0. Guice 6.0 is intended as an incremental migration aid towards Guice 7.0.

 * Guice 7.0.0-rc1: The release page has more details, but the TL;DR is that this release is identical to 6.0.0, except it only supports the jakarta.inject namespace. The servlet & persist extensions also only support jakarta.servlet & jakarta.persistence respectively. All support for javax.inject, javax.servlet, and javax.persistence are removed from Guice 7.0+.

Please try out these releases and report back on successes or failures. The more feedback I hear, the faster I can convert these to proper releases. Feedback can be left on this group, or in "Github Discussions" on this thread, or as issues/PRs on the Github Guice project.

I would also like to take a moment to honor Bob Lee's memory. Bob created Guice (along with Kevin Bourrillion) back around 2007. Although Bob went on to do many other exciting things, Guice's longevity is a testament to his intuition & genius. He was also just a really, really nice guy. I know I will sorely miss Bob, and the world is a worse place without his presence.

The Guice 6.0 & 7.0 releases are dedicated to Bob.

- sam

Thomas Suckow

May 5, 2023, 3:14:27 PM5/5/23
to google-guice
🫡

Martijn Verburg

May 7, 2023, 8:45:04 PM5/7/23
to google...@googlegroups.com
Hear Hear.

Cheers,
Martijn

On Sat, 6 May 2023 at 07:14, Thomas Suckow <tsu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Guice 6.0 & 7.0 releases are dedicated to Bob.
🫡

Mark Derricutt

May 13, 2023, 3:51:53 AM5/13/23
to 'Sam Berlin' via google-guice

On 6 May 2023, at 7:10, 'Sam Berlin' via google-guice wrote:

I'm pleased to announce that Guice has two new release candidates available:

I see the actual releases are out now, just tried updating it in our builds ( which make heavy use of exclusions for transitives ), I see a complaint about:

NoClassDefFound jakarta/inject/Provider

in my tests with mocks, but I can't find any dependency that actually provides that class to add as a dependency - looking at the poms (and the guide-parent pom) I couldn't spot anything either.

Am I missing something obvious?

Cheers
Mark

"The ease with which a change can be implemented has no relevance at all to whether it is the right change for the (Java) Platform for all time." — Mark Reinhold.

Mark Derricutt
http://www.chaliceofblood.net
http://www.theoryinpractice.net
http://twitter.com/talios
http://facebook.com/mderricutt

signature.asc

Sam Berlin

May 13, 2023, 8:13:19 AM5/13/23
to google...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

The jakarta.inject dependencies come this stanza in the parent pom, which the core pom references here.  They refer to this Maven artifact.  In the 7.0.0 release, this artifact is used instead of the javax.inject one, whereas in 6.0.0 it's used in addition to the javax.inject one.  (In releases prior to 6, the jakarta dependencies did not exist.)

The release pages talk more about the jakarta transition and provide links to why Guice needs to do this.

sam

Mark Derricutt

May 14, 2023, 5:51:37 AM5/14/23

On 14 May 2023, at 0:12, 'Sam Berlin' via google-guice wrote:

The jakarta.inject dependencies come this stanza in the parent pom, which the core pom references here.  They refer to this Maven artifact.  In the 7.0.0 release, this artifact is used instead of the javax.inject one, whereas in 6.0.0 it's used in addition to the javax.inject one.  (In releases prior to 6, the jakarta dependencies did not exist.)

Sweet - looks like I'd included the 1.x version of the jakarta.inject which was the problem

signature.asc