Guice 6.0.0 & 7.0.0 released

Sam Berlin

May 12, 2023, 2:40:35 PM5/12/23
to google...@googlegroups.com

Hello Everyone,

I'm pleased to announce the releases of Guice 6.0.0 & 7.0.0

 * Guice 6.0.0: The release page has more details, but the TL;DR is that this release fixed a number of bugs, closed all open pull requests, and added `jakarta.inject` support alongside the existing `javax.inject` support. (The `jakarta.inject` support is almost complete, with the caveat that binder(..).toProvider() methods aren't supported for jakarta providers.)  Again, see the release notes for complete details & explanations of the javax -> jakarta change.  The servlet & persist extensions remain javax only for Guice 6.0Guice 6.0 is intended as an incremental migration aid towards Guice 7.0.

 * Guice 7.0.0: The release page has more details, but the TL;DR is that this release is identical to 6.0.0, except it only supports the jakarta.inject namespace. The servlet & persist extensions also only support jakarta.servlet & jakarta.persistence respectively. All support for javax.inject, javax.servlet, and javax.persistence are removed from Guice 7.0+.

You can also see this announcement in the Github Discussions thread.

As mentioned in the release candidates announcement, I would also like to take a moment to honor Bob Lee's memory. Bob created Guice (along with Kevin Bourrillion) back around 2007. Although Bob went on to do many other exciting things, Guice's longevity is a testament to his intuition & genius. He was also just a really, really nice guy. I know I will sorely miss Bob, and the world is a worse place without his presence.

The Guice 6.0 & 7.0 releases are dedicated to Bob.

- sam