Changing the way you get your Google news

Google Friends Newsletter

Jul 29, 2011, 2:18:54 PM7/29/11
to Google Friends
Greetings to our Google Friends,

It’s hard to believe, but this monthly missive is now 13 years old. We
hope you’ve enjoyed reading it over time, and wanted you to know that
we are retiring it in its current form.

As you may know, the Google Friends Newsletter was created by Larry
Page in April 1998, when Google was still on Stanford servers. In the
early days, the Friends notes offered newsy details like “We are
gearing up to do another crawl. We should start within a few weeks”
and tips on tweaking your search queries.

Obviously a lot has happened since then, including changes in how we
communicate updates to all of you. So this will be our last Google
Friends Newsletter. We started the Official Google Blog in 2004 and
joined Twitter in 2009, and we’ve seen dramatic growth on those
channels. Meanwhile, the number of subscribers to this newsletter has
remained flat, so we’ve concluded that this format is no longer the
best way for us to get the word out about new Google products and
services.

You can still get updates and power tips from Google in several ways:

The Official Google Blog - http://www.googleblog.blogspot.com
Our main blog features the widest range of our biggest news and
announcements. Subscribe to our blog posts by email—no more than one
per day—by scrolling to the “Subscribe” box on the right-hand side of
the blog. You can also subscribe to the blog in an RSS reader, or pick
and choose which subject(s) you’d like to get news about by
subscribing to a topical label (look on the right-hand side for this
list).

Topical blogs - http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/blog-directory.html
Visit our blog directory to find a blog that covers just what you’re
interested in, whether it’s Chrome or search, or blogs in additional
languages that cover countries around the world.

Twitter - http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/twitter-directory.html
We have a wide variety of Twitter feeds covering many different
topics. Visit our Twitter directory and follow the ones that strike
your fancy.

We hope you enjoy whichever channels you choose. You’re always a
Google friend to us!