Google Friends Newsletter - December 2009

Google Friends Newsletter

Dec 21, 2009, 9:13:10 PM12/21/09
to Google Friends
We hope all of our Google friends are having a great December and a
wonderful 2009. Enjoy this month's update on our products and
services, and we'll see you in 2010.

------------

POWER TIP

Real-time search results

Now you can access comprehensive real-time search results from blogs,
social networks, news and the web. When relevant real-time information
is available, a new universal search feature will appear with a live
stream of the freshest web content. Clicking on the "Latest Results"
link will take you to a filtered full page of results. You can also
filter to see only short-form "Updates" from Twitter, FriendFeed,
Indenti.ca, Jaiku and TWiT Army. We also announced new agreements with
Facebook and MySpace, and are working to incorporate public content
from those services in the feature. You can also see what's happening
on the web by checking out the new Hot Topics on Google Trends.
http://www.google.com
http://www.google.com/trends

------------

NEW PRODUCTS & UPDATES

Google Chrome for Mac and Linux, and extensions on Windows and Linux
betas

You can now use Google Chrome on Mac and Linux, in beta. In addition,
if you're on the beta version of Google Chrome on Windows or Linux,
you can now try out any of 1000+ extensions to add more features and
functionality to the browser.
www.google.com/chrome
chrome.google.com/extensions

Google Goggles

Google Goggles is a new visual search application for Android phones.
Now you can search the web by taking a picture, instead of typing in
words. Shoot a photo of a landmark, sign, logo, book cover or work of
art to get matching search results for your image. For business
information, just point your phone at a store, and Goggles will show
you the name of the business, using the phone's GPS and compass.
http://www.google.com/mobile/goggles

Living Story

The Living Stories prototype is an experimental new way to consume
news, which we have developed over the last few months in partnership
with the New York Times and the Washington Post. It unifies coverage
of an ongoing story on a single dynamic web page, making it easier for
you to follow the latest updates, review background information and
keep track of the latest changes as the subject evolves over time. You
can read full articles, browse multimedia and filter stories in
different ways — all in one place.
http://livingstories.googlelabs.com

Gift ideas from Google Product Search

To help you with your holiday shopping, we've put together a list of
some of the most popular products on Google Product Search. Whether
you're looking for the latest game or gadget or a stocking-stuffer for
the family pet, we've got ideas for all budgets.
www.google.com/holidaygifts09

Buy Picasa storage and get a free Eye-Fi card

For a limited time, when you buy 200 GB of Google paid storage for
$50, you'll get a free 4GB Eye-Fi card (a $95 value). An Eye-Fi card
makes it easy to upload photos directly from your camera to Picasa Web
Albums or to your computer (no cables required). Google paid storage
is overflow space shared between Picasa Web Albums and Gmail, in
addition to your free quota.
www.picasa.google.com/eyefi

-------------
MISCELLANY

We celebrate a variety of end-year traditions around here. The first
is our Year-End Zeitgeist, a collection of search trends over 2009
that offers a glimpse at the collective consciousness. We've compiled
our Zeitgeist since 2001 — this year you can explore what was on the
minds of citizens all over the globe, in dozens of languages. We're
also watching NORAD track Santa in Google Earth, a tradition since
2004 (when Google Earth was still Keyhole!). And finally, if you visit
the Google homepage from Dec. 21-25, we hope each day's doodle brings
you a little holiday cheer.
http://www.google.com/zeitgeist2009
http://www.noradsanta.org/
http://goo.gl/gam1