Google Friends Newsletter - October 2010

Google Friends Newsletter

Oct 30, 2010, 7:33:11 PM10/30/10
to Google Friends
Greetings to our Google Friends. We hope you enjoy this month’s update
on our products and services.

------------
POWER TIP

Flu vaccine finder

Just in time for flu season, we’re again collaborating with the U.S.
Department for Health and Human Services (HHS), their flu.gov
collaborators and the American Lung Association to help you easily
find nearby locations to get the flu vaccine. When searching for flu-
related terms, information will appear at the top of your search
results, including tips from flu.gov and a flu vaccine finder box with
an expanding map that displays locations where you can receive
vaccine.
http://www.google.org/flushot

------------
NEW PRODUCTS & UPDATES

Place Search

Place Search is a new kind of local search result that organizes the
world’s information around places. Now when you’re searching for local
information, you’ll see a list of specific places marked with red
pins, along with links to other pages for more information. Clustering
search results around specific locations helps you more easily make
comparisons and decide where to go. With this new layout, you’ll also
find many more relevant links on a single results page—helping you
find the place you’re looking for faster.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/place-search-faster-easier-way-to-find.html

Demo Slam

Demo Slam is a new site that showcases Google technology in new,
creative ways to help more people understand the free tools available
to them. You can watch new slams each week, vote for your favorites
and create your own slam. It’s a place where tech demos become more
exciting and engaging, thanks to the creativity of Google users.
http://www.DemoSlam.com

Google TV

Google TV is a new experience that combines TV, the web and apps—as
well as a way to search across them all. Three devices powered by
Google TV—including an integrated line of Sony TVs, a Sony blu-ray
player, and a Logitech companion box—are now on sale at all Best Buy
stores nationwide. Visit our website for more information, and check
out our blog where you can stay up to speed on the latest developments
from the Google TV team.
http://www.google.com/tv/
http://googletv.blogspot.com/

Birthday doodles

John Lennon, Norman Rockwell, Isaac Newton and now you. When you
include your date of birth in your Google profile, you’ll see a
special doodle on the Google homepage on your birthday (just be sure
to sign in).
http://www.google.com/profiles

-------------
MISCELLANY

The U.S. midterm elections are on November 2, and we’re providing a
few tools that make it easier to gather voting information. If you
search on Google for [polling place] or [where to vote], you’ll see a
search box to help you find your polling place, candidates and local
election office. Just type in the home address where you’re registered
to vote. We’ve also introduced a mobile version of this same
information and special elections sections in Google News.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/handy-tools-to-help-americans-vote.html

Google Friends Newsletter

Oct 30, 2010, 7:34:50 PM10/30/10
to Google Friends
Demo Slam is a new site that showcases Google technology in fun,