Google Friends Newsletter - July 2010

Google Friends Newsletter

Jul 30, 2010, 2:24:12 PM7/30/10
to Google Friends
Greetings to our Google Friends. We hope you enjoy this month’s update
on our products and services.

------------
POWER TIP

Rich text signatures in Gmail

Now, you can write your own rich text signatures in Gmail. Add colors
or change the font size of your signature, or insert images and links.
To add your signature, sign in to Gmail and visit the Settings page.
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/rich-text-signatures.html

------------
NEW PRODUCTS & UPDATES

Refreshed design for Google Images

We’ve rolled out an update to Google Images to match the scope of the
growing visual web, and to make it easier for you to take advantage of
the powerful technology built into Images. The new design features a
dense tiled layout designed to make it easy to look at lots of images
at once, instant scrolling between pages, larger thumbnail previews on
the results page, a new ad format called Image Search Ads and more.
http://www.google.com/landing/imagesearch

New YouTube mobile website

We’ve rolled out an updated version of the YouTube mobile site so you
can find and access your favorite videos wherever you are. The new
interface, optimized for iPhone and Android devices, is much faster
and incorporates larger, more touch-friendly elements, making it
easier to access videos on the go. It also has features and
functionality you’ve come to expect from the desktop site, like search
query suggestions, the options to create playlists, the ability to
designate “favorite,” “like” or “unlike” videos directly from your
device. Currently, the new features are in English, but we’ll be
rolling them out to other languages in the coming months.
http://m.youtube.com from your mobile browser

App Inventor for Android

App Inventor is a new tool in Google Labs that makes it easy for anyone
—programmers and non-programmers, professionals and students—to create
mobile applications for Android-powered devices. Regardless of your
level of programming experience, App Inventor gives you the
opportunity to control and reshape your communication experience. Sign
up on the App Inventor site to receive an invitation to try it out.
http://appinventor.googlelabs.com/about

Google Earth for Educators and Pro Grants Program

Learn tips and tricks for using Google Earth as a teaching tool by
visiting the new Google Earth for Educators Community. On this site,
you can view lesson plans for a variety of grade levels and subjects,
discuss Google Earth teaching tactics with fellow educators, see
student-created work and read how other teachers are using Google
Earth in the classroom. In addition, educators can now apply for a
Google Earth Pro Grant, in order to integrate pro features into their
curricula for free.
http://sitescontent.google.com/google-earth-for-educators

-------------
MISCELLANY

Summertime at our corporate HQ in Mountain View, Calif. means we’re
celebrating with a series of search stories—short videos that
illustrate through search queries how people might rely on Google at
key moments in their lives. From having a new baby to getting a new
dog, from graduating college to walking down the aisle, we hope these
stories remind you of times that Google search has come in handy for
you. Check out our blog post series for our take on these stories, or
visit the YouTube channel to watch them all. We hope you’ll be
inspired to create your own.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/search/label/search%20stories
http://www.youtube.com/SearchStories