Google Friends Newsletter - September 2010

Google Friends Newsletter

Sep 30, 2010, 5:25:30 PM9/30/10
to Google Friends
Greetings to our Google Friends. We hope you enjoy this month’s update
on our products and services.

------------
POWER TIP

Gmail Priority Inbox

Priority Inbox helps you get through your email faster by putting
important messages at the top of your inbox. Gmail uses a variety of
signals to automatically identify what’s important, including which
messages you open and which you reply to. Incoming messages get
separated into three customizable sections: “Important and unread,”
“Starred,” and “Everything else.” To try it out, click the Settings
link in the upper right-hand corner of your Gmail account and visit
the Priority Inbox tab.
http://www.gmail.com/priorityinbox

------------
NEW PRODUCTS & UPDATES

Google Instant

Google Instant is a new search enhancement that shows results as you
type. Now, you get to the right content much faster—you don’t have to
finish typing your full search term or even press “Search.” Use the
results from what you’ve already typed as feedback to help you
formulate a better search term, and adapt your search on the fly until
the results match exactly what you want.
http://www.google.com/instant

U.S. midterm ratings comparison map

Many people are interested in how the balance of power between
Democrats and Republicans will shake out after the U.S. elections on
November 2. We’ve worked with some of the top names in politics—Cook,
Rothenberg, CQ-Roll Call and RealClearPolitics—to make it easier to
track the daily changes in the political landscape on an interactive
Google map.
http://maps.google.com/elections2010

Google Health updates

We’ve redesigned Google Health to make it easier for you to act on and
understand your personal health information. A new easier-to-use
dashboard brings together even more of your health and wellness
information, and a new wellness features lets you set personal health
and wellness goals for yourself and track your progress online. You
can set customized trackers, like how much exercise you get a week or
how much coffee you drink a day, and keep a journal on your progress.
And if you select a wellness goal, condition, medication or topic
you’re tracking, you’ll get relevant and customized news and
information from Google search results and other trusted content.
https://health.google.com

New website for Google Earth

Our new website for Google Earth is one place to find everything
you’re looking for. The new site is loaded with lots of content
including images, videos, tours, maps and tutorials on how to get
started. Take a look and see all the ways you can explore the world
around you.
http://earth.google.com

Seven continents of Street View

We’ve added Street View imagery of Antarctica, Brazil and Ireland, so
you can now explore all seven continents with Street View. See the
famous beaches of Brazil, the rolling landscapes of Ireland, the icy
terrain of Antarctica and other spots around the world from a street-
level perspective. You may even spot some penguins!
http://maps.google.com/sevencontinents

-------------
MISCELLANY (PR)

Arcade Fire

“The Wilderness Downtown” is a musical experience made specifically
for the browser, created by writer/director Chris Milk with the band
Arcade Fire and Google. It’s personalized to you, so it takes you down
memory lane through the streets you grew up in, set to Arcade Fire’s
song “We Used to Wait.” It was built with Google Chrome in mind and
features the latest web technologies including HTML5, Google Maps, an
integrated drawing tool and multiple browser windows that move around
the screen.
http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com