Newsletters not being recieved

Janni Tholstrup Jørgensen

May 18, 2011, 1:04:42 PM5/18/11
to Google Friend Connect Developer Forum
Hi. I'm having a problem with people not recieving my newsletter. Some
have never recieved it and some only get it from time to time... Is
this a problem that you are aware of? If so, what is the sollution??

Thanks

Bob Aman

May 18, 2011, 4:40:27 PM5/18/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com
> Hi. I'm having a problem with people not recieving my newsletter. Some
> have never recieved it and some only get it from time to time... Is
> this a problem that you are aware of? If so, what is the sollution??

Have them check spam folder.

Forboding Angel

May 18, 2011, 4:43:04 PM5/18/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com
Also, make sure that the people not receiving the newsletter are
actually signed up to get it. Simply because they are signed up for your
site doesn't mean that they are signed up to receive your newsletters as
well.

Bob Aman

May 18, 2011, 4:44:20 PM5/18/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com
> Also, make sure that the people not receiving the newsletter are actually
> signed up to get it. Simply because they are signed up for your site doesn't
> mean that they are signed up to receive your newsletters as well.

Yup, that's a very good point.

Janni Tholstrup Jørgensen

May 18, 2011, 4:49:23 PM5/18/11
to Google Friend Connect Developer Forum
One of the people who didn't recieve it, has a blog of her own and
also has the newsletter feature on it. She knows how it works. I have
asked them to check the spam...
> > Have them check spam folder.- Hide quoted text -

Bob Aman

May 18, 2011, 5:15:09 PM5/18/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com
> One of the people who didn't recieve it, has a blog of her own and
> also has the newsletter feature on it. She knows how it works. I have
> asked them to check the spam...

You should also check the admin screen, under newsletter history. Make
sure the value for recipients is roughly what you expected.

Janni Tholstrup Jørgensen

May 19, 2011, 4:17:34 AM5/19/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I just did that. And under recipients it says "No messages sent"... Does that have something to do with it? Because everytime I write a newsletter, preview the newsletter and press send, it always tells me that the letter was sent successfully...

2011/5/18 Bob Aman <bob...@google.com>

"When you realize the value of all life, you dwell less on what is past and concentrate on the preservation of the future" - Dian Fossey

Bob Aman

May 19, 2011, 2:18:27 PM5/19/11
to GFC Developer Forum
> Ok, I just did that. And under recipients it says "No messages sent"... Does
> that have something to do with it? Because everytime I write a newsletter,
> preview the newsletter and press send, it always tells me that the letter
> was sent successfully...

Yes, that essentially means you have no actual subscribers.

Janni Tholstrup Jørgensen

May 19, 2011, 2:27:40 PM5/19/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com
But isn't it a bit weird that all of the people who subscribed did it wrong?? Some of them are subscribing to another blog on blogger, so they know the drill...

Bob Aman

May 19, 2011, 2:40:03 PM5/19/11
to GFC Developer Forum
> But isn't it a bit weird that all of the people who subscribed did it
> wrong?? Some of them are subscribing to another blog on blogger, so they
> know the drill...

Any UI which involves a multi-step process (sign-up, then subscribe)
inevitably involves fewer people taking the subsequent step. I
wouldn't be surprised to see 100 visitors for every person who joins
the site, and then 10 site members or more for every subscriber.

Janni Tholstrup Jørgensen

May 19, 2011, 3:01:01 PM5/19/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com
Can people recieve the newsletter if they are not a follower of my blog?? I still find it hard to believe that a person who has the newsletter gadget herself also did it wrong...

Ben Woods

May 19, 2011, 3:02:51 PM5/19/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com

To most people, "Newsletter" is synonymous with "spam".

Bob Aman

May 19, 2011, 3:04:40 PM5/19/11
to GFC Developer Forum
> Can people recieve the newsletter if they are not a follower of my blog?

I'm actually not sure on this one. My suspicion is no.

Ben Woods

May 19, 2011, 3:06:45 PM5/19/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com

Im sorry for the double post but I just thought of something. If you go to the Google friend connect panel, the click newsletter, on that page there is a calculate button that tells you how many people will receive the newsletter. What does it say for you?

Janni Tholstrup Jørgensen

May 19, 2011, 3:09:41 PM5/19/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com
It says zero! Dammit, this is SO frustrating!!! So, this isn't anything I'm doing wrong then??

Bob Aman

May 19, 2011, 3:21:15 PM5/19/11
to GFC Developer Forum
> It says zero! Dammit, this is SO frustrating!!! So, this isn't anything I'm
> doing wrong then??

Yeah, just means you have no subscribers. Try clicking the on-join
prompt checkbox.

Janni Tholstrup Jørgensen

May 19, 2011, 3:27:15 PM5/19/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com
What's that?? Sorry, but I'm a tech idiot  And very new to blogger...

2011/5/19 Bob Aman <bob...@google.com>

330.gif

Bob Aman

May 19, 2011, 3:39:29 PM5/19/11
to GFC Developer Forum
> What's that?? Sorry, but I'm a tech idiot  And very new to blogger...

There's an option on the newsletter page: "Ask visitors to subscribe
immediately after their first sign-in."

Turn that on.

Janni Tholstrup Jørgensen

May 19, 2011, 3:44:08 PM5/19/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com
I've had that turned on ever since I added the gadget...

Bob Aman

May 19, 2011, 3:53:48 PM5/19/11
to GFC Developer Forum
> I've had that turned on ever since I added the gadget...

Then you may want to add a call-to-action on your page. The sign-up
checkbox is off by default, and again, most people will click through.
Try putting exclusive content in your newsletter or provide some value
there that isn't on your site as an incentive to sign up.

Janni Tholstrup Jørgensen

May 19, 2011, 3:57:22 PM5/19/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I'm sorry if i sound stupid now, but as I said, I'm new at this... The call-to-action thing, is that a gadget? Or just something I write to get people's attention??

Bob Aman

May 19, 2011, 4:03:26 PM5/19/11
to GFC Developer Forum
> Ok, I'm sorry if i sound stupid now, but as I said, I'm new at this... The
> call-to-action thing, is that a gadget? Or just something I write to get
> people's attention??

Hehe, yeah, that's something you write.

For example if you had a cooking blog, "Hey folks, there's an
exclusive recipe we send out every month in our newsletter! Sign up to
get all the extra delicious stuff!"

Janni Tholstrup Jørgensen

May 19, 2011, 4:07:17 PM5/19/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com
Ok, great

So, in order to make people realize what to do, I should tell them to follow me, click to sign up for the newsletter, wait for the confirmation email and then confirm... Is there anything else they need to do?

2011/5/19 Bob Aman <bob...@google.com>

330.gif

Bob Aman

May 19, 2011, 4:08:01 PM5/19/11
to GFC Developer Forum
> Ok, great

> So, in order to make people realize what to do, I should tell them to follow me, click to sign up for the newsletter, wait for the confirmation email and then confirm... Is there anything else they need to do?

Sounds about right, yeah.

Janni Tholstrup Jørgensen

May 19, 2011, 4:10:56 PM5/19/11
to google-friend-co...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thanks a lot for your help  Nice to know that it wasn't me who was a total computer spazz...