Synch Gmail Contact groups with Circles

KJ de V

Jul 14, 2011, 5:08:21 PM7/14/11
to google-featur...@googlegroups.com
It would be nice if my gmail contact groups could be in sync with my circles.

Cadill

Jul 15, 2011, 10:14:41 AM7/15/11
to Google+ Feature Suggestions
YES! At the very least, Google should be using Google Contact Groups
to populate Circles initially, and/or to make suggestions about who
should be in which Circles.

Piet Bos

Jul 16, 2011, 2:14:24 AM7/16/11
to Google+ Feature Suggestions
Not necessarily.

The reason is this:
All your G+ contacts automatically are added to Other Contacts in
Gmail. I thought to make a group called "G+ Contacts" and put all the
people there. However, what then happened, was that my Android phone
all of a sudden added these contacts too to its phonebook. Not sure
about you, but that was not expected nor accepted behavior by me.

So unless they can find a way to keep this separated, I would vote
against this suggestion.

Cadill

Jul 16, 2011, 10:51:34 AM7/16/11
to Google+ Feature Suggestions
I was hoping to have my Google+ circles populated by my Google Contact
Groups; I didn't think so much about whether it makes sense for it to
go the other way (Google+ to Contact Groups).

But I agree with you that not everyone in your Google+ circles belongs
in your Android phone.

Maybe there could be away for you to "star" people who are in your
Google Contacts and set the Android phone only to sync "starred"
people.

:)

SignpostMarv

Jul 16, 2011, 11:33:28 AM7/16/11
to Google+ Feature Suggestions
Isn't this how they got in trouble with Buzz- doing that
automatically?

Piet Bos

Jul 17, 2011, 5:43:36 AM7/17/11
to Google+ Feature Suggestions
No, that was sth completely different!

On Jul 16, 11:33 pm, SignpostMarv

Cadill

Jul 17, 2011, 9:47:51 AM7/17/11
to Google+ Feature Suggestions
With Buzz, they auto-added your most frequently emailed contacts
regardless of what groups they were in, and they made the list of
people you followed public. That was very bad!

In this case what I'm suggesting is that they suggest membership in
individual circles based on the groups you've defined yourself in your
contact list.

The circles that people are in are private (people do not know which
circle they are in).

I definitely take your point that they should not auto-add people to
circles (because I believe it notifies the people when you add them to
any circle, without actually telling them which circle they are in).
So perhaps it would be better to just use it as a means of suggesting
which circles you should put people in.

I hope I'm clear :)

On Jul 16, 11:33 am, SignpostMarv

Dorian James

Aug 5, 2011, 12:21:05 PM8/5/11
to Google+ Feature Suggestions
+1

i think that at least the circles could be generated through your
gmail groups as an option.
I pretty much had to make all my gmail groups again with circles. it
was a lot of work.
if you could see a list of your mail groups and make a circles using
them then it would have been easier
not to mention if i change somebody gmail group then i have to change
them in the circle as well. that seems silly.

Chris Morris

Aug 20, 2011, 7:02:54 PM8/20/11
to google-featur...@googlegroups.com
I simply don't want to have to make a group in my Google Contacts and then make the same exact group in Google+. Integration would be nice.

Cadill

Aug 21, 2011, 7:31:50 PM8/21/11
to Google+ Feature Suggestions
+1

Chris Morris

Aug 30, 2011, 6:33:02 PM8/30/11
to google-featur...@googlegroups.com
+1

Todd

Sep 21, 2011, 2:43:52 PM9/21/11
to Google+ Feature Suggestions
+1

Joe Ross

Sep 23, 2011, 11:41:55 AM9/23/11
to google-featur...@googlegroups.com
Are they still auto-adding people you Circle to your contacts? It was very odd to check my contacts one day and see Mark Zuckerberg, Leo Laporte, and Michael Arrington in my Contacts list...

GD

Sep 25, 2011, 4:42:38 PM9/25/11
to Google+ Feature Suggestions
I think it would be enough to make the sync an option, like when you
sync Chrome stuff among different PCs, not only you can decide if you
want to sync or not, but also what you want to sync, so it would be
nice to have the option to sync groups with circles, and also to
decide which groups to sync.

+1

Rodrigo Cortés

Sep 27, 2011, 3:18:52 PM9/27/11
to google-featur...@googlegroups.com
You can choose what contacts show in the contact list.

Michael Ingraham

Oct 21, 2011, 8:22:51 AM10/21/11
to google-featur...@googlegroups.com
+1

Vivek B

Nov 3, 2011, 5:14:54 PM11/3/11
to Google+ Feature Suggestions
yep, +1. At least in the direction of "add people to G+ circles from
my Google Contacts Groups".

Matthijs Wessels

Dec 2, 2011, 4:00:36 AM12/2/11
to google-featur...@googlegroups.com
I 100% agree that more integration would be great. For me, contact groups and circles are equivalent. More integration would make it possible that for example when someone has his or her phone number visible to me on their google profile, it would automatically appear in my contacts on my phone. Now I have to manually gather that info and enter it in my google contacts.

Matthijs Wessels

Dec 25, 2011, 7:19:12 PM12/25/11
to Google+ Feature Suggestions
Wow, circles now appear in my gmail. That's perfect. Only thing that
differs now between circles and contact groups is that I cannot make a
circle and add all my colleages to it without spamming them with Google
+ invitations. Once that has changed, it'll be perfect.

On Dec 2, 10:00 am, Matthijs Wessels <matthijs.wess...@gmail.com>

Cadill

Dec 28, 2011, 11:56:21 PM12/28/11
to Google+ Feature Suggestions
How does having circles as pseudo-labels in Gmail help with getting
your circles synced with your contact groups, which is what this
thread is about?

On Dec 25, 7:19 pm, Matthijs Wessels <matthijs.wess...@gmail.com>

Ben

Feb 23, 2012, 10:29:28 PM2/23/12
to Google+ Feature Suggestions
+1. I have spent a ton of time organizing my google contacts in to
groups. I don't want to have to duplicate that effort in Google+

Mark A

Oct 10, 2012, 3:21:32 PM10/10/12
to google-featur...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone found a way to merge google contact groups into google+ circles?

If so please  post here and at

since this other discussion thread has had many readers.  Please also comment on the new thread to add your comment and consolidate the discussion....

  I have reported my problem to google last year and followup every 2 months with a web/forum/groups search for a solution.

Problem summary, and possible solution-scenarios:

I would like google contact groups to upload into google+ circles.... this would allow me to really start using google+.

more sync discussion at
https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/#!topic/google-plus-discuss/uwSKgknh1xA

My use situation is-  I am new to Google+.  I  have well over 4000
gmail contacts, of which a subset are in more than 50 contact groups.

I simply need way to place/invite all the persons in a contact group
into a circle.  This issue is the major issue I have that impedes my
Google+ usage.

For my needs, several possible changes to google contacts and google+
would work as follows:

Possibility A
In contacts go to group that is desired to be a circle.  Check box
"all". Click on groups button, scroll to bottom and ( a CHANGE)
circles could show up to be selected like other groups.

Possiblilty B
When adding to circles allow group name to be input into add field

Possibility C
Fully merge groups and circles.

I have tried and looked for workarounds- if you know of any (that
allow moving groups and do NOT require to move every contact) PLEASE
post!

It is strange that it is easier to import contacts from yahoo mail than form a google contacts group!

Mark A

Nov 23, 2012, 12:19:55 PM11/23/12
to google-featur...@googlegroups.com
Brian has alerted me to a change in Google+ that may be a solution at https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/google-plus-discuss/google$2B$20and$20google$20groups$20merge/google-plus-discuss/LR5L2bZJFvg/_DDa3Pa3H-MJ

Please read of this sync enhancement and reply at that post and this one if it has helped with your needs...