Spam on this group

goo...@petskink.net

Sep 22, 2009, 3:41:46 PM9/22/09
to google-excanvas
Most of the spam that I get through my email account comes from this
group. I have tried tagging each of the messages, but it's clearly
not working. Is there a way that we as a group can cut down on that
junk?

Stephen Bannasch

Sep 22, 2009, 3:45:44 PM9/22/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Turn on new member moderation.

The disadvantage is that turning off moderation becomes a task for
the group owner or managers.

Ryan Schmidt

Sep 23, 2009, 2:32:57 PM9/23/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com

You mean turning *on* moderation.

I have had to do this on a Google Groups list I maintain. But mine is
low traffic with few members so it made sense for me to do that.

brendangibson

Sep 23, 2009, 4:38:40 PM9/23/09
to google-excanvas
Something I saw on drnic@twitter this afternoon

http://skitch.com/drnic/nycrm/the-google-groups-plan-to-stop-spam

Stephen Bannasch

Sep 24, 2009, 6:53:24 PM9/24/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
At 1:32 PM -0500 9/23/09, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>On Sep 22, 2009, at 14:45, Stephen Bannasch wrote:
>
>>> Most of the spam that I get through my email account comes from this
>>> group. I have tried tagging each of the messages, but it's clearly
>>> not working. Is there a way that we as a group can cut down on that
>>> junk?
>>
>> Turn on new member moderation.
>>
>> The disadvantage is that turning off moderation becomes a task for
>> the group owner or managers.
>
>You mean turning *on* moderation.

No, turning on message moderation for any new member is a one-time admin task.

But if the normal operation of the list should be unmoderated there
is then an additional admin task of reviewing new members (presumably
by looking at their first message) and either deleting them or
un-moderating them.

For lists with infrequent membership changes this is easy.

On lists I manage (very infrequent membership changes) I haven't even
had to look at the messages -- just the construct of the email name
is enough to know they are constructed by and some spam program.

AndreasR

Sep 27, 2009, 11:19:57 AM9/27/09
to google-excanvas
I agree that something should be done about the spam on this group...

- Andreas

On 25 Sep, 00:53, Stephen Bannasch <stephen.banna...@deanbrook.org>