excanvas & google closure VML

NikVdW

Feb 14, 2010, 8:01:42 PM2/14/10
to google-excanvas
Dear group,

new member here, with a problem that has me stumped for the last
couple of days: I have ported most of my site over from jQuery to the
recently open-sourced Google Closure API.

One of my UI widgets relies on the Gauge visualization from Closure
API. This works fine in IE, as long as I force IE7 compatibility mode.
The Closure API's graphics library is smart enough to detect which
browser is in use, and then uses VML, SVG, or Canvas to draw the
graphics.

I also still need to use jQuery, as I rely on flot for a lot of
graphs. For this component, excanvas is required...

It is this combination that kills my site on IE. Excanvas seems to
mess with the Closure API's VML code... Is this possible? Is there a
way to exclude certain DOM elements from excanvas manipulation?
Basically, I only want excanvas to work on the flot graphs, not on the
Closure Gauges (which are rendered in VML anyway).

I hope this makes any sense,
thanks,
Nik.

NikVdW

Feb 23, 2010, 11:24:10 AM2/23/10
to google-excanvas
Dear group,

as a follow-up to my original post, it seems that excanvas reduces the
size of my dynamically inserted VML elements (g_vml_ tags) to 4x4
pixels. Is there any way to avoid this?

thanks,
Nik.

Erik Arvidsson

Feb 23, 2010, 1:28:57 PM2/23/10
to google-...@googlegroups.com
This is really my bug to take care of but I haven't had time to look at it yet.

My main suspicions are:

1. The namespace prefix is conflicting
2. The CSS is conflicting
3. The document.namespaces magic is conflicting.

> --

erik

NikVdW

Feb 25, 2010, 6:28:07 AM2/25/10
to google-excanvas
Hi Erik,

thanks for your reply. I've found a temporary workaround by removing
the #default#VML argument from the namespaces call in the excanvas
init code, and forcing my document mode into IE7 (meta tag)... Not
ideal as the root cause is probably somewhere else, but it works for
now.

thanks,
Nik.