Set up an Earth Engine collaboration space with a Google Cloud Project

Google Earth Engine Announcements

Jul 27, 2021, 6:35:19 PM7/27/21
to Google Earth Engine Announcements

Greetings Earth Engine Developers!

We are pleased to announce that you can now use Earth Engine with Google Cloud projects!  What this means is that it's now easy to set up a collaborative workspace where you control permission to read and write assets from a central asset storage location (learn more).  You can use your own Google Cloud projects to track your Earth Engine requests, assets and permissions.  You can also track the success rate of requests you are sending to the Earth Engine service, to help with debugging and optimization of your Earth Engine powered workflows.

All this comes with a new, opt-in Code Editor experience that lets you see and organize assets stored under your personal Cloud project or any other project to which you have access.  You can still list and manage Earth Engine assets in a Cloud project from the Earth Engine command line, Python API or REST API (learn more).  We've also provided documentation to explain how to get set up and running with the new Cloud integration.

For all those interested in opting in to the new system, click the button in the upper right of the Code Editor to create a new Cloud project or choose an existing one to use with Earth Engine.

As we previously announced, Google Earth Engine is building on Google Cloud Platform capabilities to enable new workflows and unlock exciting new advancements in machine learning and artificial intelligence.

There is no charge associated with creating a Cloud project. For over a decade, Earth Engine has been a free, powerful tool for academic, research, and non-commercial users, and we're excited to add these features to allow you to do even more.

Happy coding!

The Google Earth Engine Team