how to display the streets/roads layer only?

Iwan van Stiggelen

Sep 24, 2009, 9:27:59 AM9/24/09
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Plug-in
I'd like to use the GE 3D plugin with only the streets/roads layer.
Right now there is always the satellite imagery in the background. Is
it possible to hide/disable this imagery so only the streets are
visible (like the default map at maps.google.com) ?

I've seen http://mapperz.googlepages.com/OSM_3d_seemless_GE.html
(choose earth), but this is a semi-transparent overlay and feels a bit
like a hack.

Many thanks in advance

Barry Hunter

Sep 24, 2009, 10:09:50 AM9/24/09
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Plug-in
Yes its an overlay - you can't turn off the base satalite imagry -
only put something over the top.

I doubt you would be able to 'inject' your layer between the satalite
imagry and road layers, so you will need to source your own road data
(eg OSM)

On Sep 24, 2:27 pm, Iwan van Stiggelen wrote:
> I'd like to use the GE 3D plugin with only the streets/roads layer.
> Right now there is always the satellite imagery in the background. Is
> it possible to hide/disable this imagery so only the streets are
> visible (like the default map at maps.google.com) ?
>
> I've seenhttp://mapperz.googlepages.com/OSM_3d_seemless_GE.html

Iwan van Stiggelen

Sep 24, 2009, 11:27:12 AM9/24/09
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Plug-in
Hi Barry,

I was hoping for a background with only the road layers, but it seems
i have to fall back on the default maps.google.com for that. It's not
really a problem, but i was hoping to be able to do it within the
plugin, because my application already uses that.

Thanks for your answer,

Iwan

fraser (Earth API Guru)

Sep 25, 2009, 9:30:30 AM9/25/09
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Plug-in
Hi Iwan,

You could, as Barry says, load an overlay file that covers the whole
earth and then turn the roads layer on.
However there is no injection needed as the default layers show
through, have a look at: http://www.iansimpsonarchitects.com/newsite/map/
and toggle the 'Hide images' check-box...
I gave up on this because I thought it looked a bit goofy...although
looking at it again a light-grey/beige overlay might work much
better...

Anyhow, just a thought...

F.

shsavage

Sep 30, 2009, 11:01:35 AM9/30/09
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Plug-in
Hi Fraser,

I saw in your http://www.iansimpsonarchitects.com/newsite/map/
example that you're toggling layers with lines like this: "
root.enableLayerById(ge.LAYER_BUILDINGS, form.buildings.checked);".
Now I noticed a while back that when Sky View is activated when Mars
or the Moon are loaded, the constellations layer is turned on by
default, but it's turned off by default when sky view is invoked from
the Earth object. I reported this as a bug a while back, and now it
seems to have been addressed by making the constellations layer on by
default everywhere, exactly the opposite of what I was hoping for. So
it looks like I'm going to have to turn it off myself. I've tried
"root.enableLayerById(ge.LAYER_CONSTELLATIONS, false);" but that
doesn't seem to work. Do you know if it's possible to turn the
constellations layer off, and if so, what it's called?

Thanks,

-Steve