How to add geoTargeting on creativeTargeting

Glen Kurniawan

Jun 16, 2022, 2:08:06 AM6/16/22
to Google Ad Manager API Forum
In LineItemService API, we can add both Targeting and CreativeTargeting for line item.
The creativeTargeting is using an object with "name" and "targeting" (the same "targeting" object as Targeting).

If I add geoTargeting on LineItem Targeting, it works just fine.
However, if I add geoTargeting on LineItem CreativeTargeting, it throws an error:
Invalid content was found starting with element geoTargeting, One of dayPartTargeting, dateTimeRangeTargeting, technologyTargeting, customTargeting, userDomainTargeting, contentTargeting, videoPositionTargeting, mobileApplicationTargeting, buyerUserListTargeting, requestPlatformTargeting is expected.

I can set a geo targeting on Creative Targeting directly in the admanager.google.com
Therefore, any idea how to set geo targeting on Creative Targeting via API?

Thanks,

Glen

Ad Manager API Forum Advisor

Jun 16, 2022, 5:04:32 AM6/16/22
to glen.ku...@adslot.com, google-doubleclick...@googlegroups.com
Hi Glen,

Thanks for reaching out to the Ad Manager API support team. I am Chekurthi and will be assisting you.

For adding CreativeTargeting in LineItemService where Creative level targeting is specified in a creative placeholder's CreativePlaceholder.targetingName field by referencing the creative targeting's name. It also needs to be re-specified in the LineItemCreativeAssociation.targetingName field when associating a line item with a creative that fits into that placeholder.

After adding creative targeting' name in CreativePlaceholder and LineItemCreativeAssociation, still if you face any error please provide the following information to further investigate. You can send them via Reply privately to the author option, or a direct private reply to this email :
  • SOAP request and response logs ( SOAP logging must be enabled).
  • Error screenshots.
  • Network code.
  • User email.

Regards,
Google Logo
Chekurthi
Ad Manager API Team

ref:_00D1U1174p._5004Q2bwuhA:ref

Glen Kurniawan

Jun 16, 2022, 6:12:07 PM6/16/22
to Google Ad Manager API Forum
Hi  Chekurthi,

I can add CreativeTargeting on LineItem when it is not a geoTargeting.
For example:
CreativeTargetng: {
  name: "newTarget",
  targeting: {
    technologyTargeting: {...}
  }
}
^ the above will work just fine..

however, if I use:
CreativeTargetng: {
  name: "newTarget",
  targeting: {
    geoTargeting: {...}
  }
}
^ the above will throw this error: Invalid content was found starting with element geoTargeting, One of dayPartTargeting, dateTimeRangeTargeting, technologyTargeting, customTargeting, userDomainTargeting, contentTargeting, videoPositionTargeting, mobileApplicationTargeting, buyerUserListTargeting, requestPlatformTargeting is expected.

Can I confirm that it should also work for geoTargeting?
And any further assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Glen

Ad Manager API Forum Advisor

Jun 17, 2022, 6:27:30 AM6/17/22
to glen.ku...@adslot.com, google-doubleclick...@googlegroups.com
Hi Glen,

By reviewing your concern, we understood that you are able to run CreativeTargeting for technologyTargeting but not for geoTargeting where it should be working for all available Targeting fields in CreativeTargeting. I would like to inform you that without SOAP logs we cannot be able to identify the issue. Can you please provide the following information to investigate further.
  • SOAP request and response (SOAP logging must be enabled).

Glen Kurniawan

Jun 20, 2022, 7:48:57 PM6/20/22
to Google Ad Manager API Forum
Hello,

I have figured it out, I think changed the order to have geoTargeting as the first property, and now it is working..

thanks..