Creative size limit

Kruttika Swaminathan

Sep 10, 2021, 1:21:06 PM9/10/21
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
Is there still an 8000 character size limit on creatives? I know this used to be there in the Ad Exchange Buyer API I, but has it carried over to RTB?

Mark Saniscalchi

Sep 13, 2021, 7:01:05 PM9/13/21
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
Hello Kruttika,

It sounds like you're probably referring to HTML snippet creatives? I would not limits such as this to have changed because the same underlying review process is used, but I'll verify with one of the engineers.

Regards,
Mark

Mark Saniscalchi

Sep 17, 2021, 12:39:15 PM9/17/21
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
Hello Kruttika,

Just sending along an update to indicate that the investigation is moving along; there's some internal discussion that I'm waiting for a conclusion on.

Regards,
Mark

Kruttika Swaminathan

Sep 17, 2021, 1:25:59 PM9/17/21
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
Thanks for the update!

Mark Saniscalchi

Sep 21, 2021, 6:21:45 PM9/21/21
to Authorized Buyers API Forum
Hello Kruttika,

It sounds like the 8K character limit refers to the recommendation that bid responses remain under 8 Kb. While a reasonable recommendation that mitigates the likelihood of timeouts, it does not represent the actual maximum. Strictly speaking, the RTB API itself does not impose a maximum, but the maximum size for a creative is effectively determined by that upper limit for the Real-time Bidding service–you will not be winning any bids placed with creatives that surpass the limit. In other words, we still recommend keeping your bid responses (and their associated creatives) equal or less than 8 Kb to keep latency / timeouts at manageable levels, but the API does not currently enforce that creatives need to be smaller than that. Of course, keep in mind that using significantly larger creatives will likely impact latency / timeouts as would anything else that inflates the size of the bid response.

Regards,
Mark